Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help buying this 99 z28?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help buying this 99 z28?

OK, Well here is my thread.... http://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/99-z28-camaro-72159/
My question is, how can I check for sure that the car has the ls1 engine and not a 5.3 or 6.0?
I've heard you can put the ls1 intake on those engines and it will look like an ls1?
I have until early next month to decide if I will get the car or not.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I didn't read your link but if you feel you are unable to identify an LS1 engine, then take the car to your local Chevy dealer and just have a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done. Not only will they identify the engine but find any issues wrong with the car. Great insurance (under $100) for anyone, not just newcomers to the game. The owner should not object if you are paying for it. He can accompany you and the car if he is worried about it. We are talking 1 hour's time with an appointment. If he says 'no' then find another car. I sell many cars for my elderly car club members and a request for inspection (out of the buyer's pocket) is not unreasonable unless the closest dealer is located too far away and would be too time-consuming. It also indicates a serious buyer, not a 'tire kicker'. This is serious money whether it be a $4,000 car or a $14,000 car.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5.3 and 6.0 are iron blocks, ls1 is aluminum. Id still get it if it had a 6.0 tho, then put a stroker kit in it later down the road. I looked at that thread and I'd be concerned more about it looking like its been in a pond..
Old 10-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I didn't read your link but if you feel you are unable to identify an LS1 engine, then take the car to your local Chevy dealer and just have a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done. Not only will they identify the engine but find any issues wrong with the car. Great insurance (under $100) for anyone, not just newcomers to the game. The owner should not object if you are paying for it. He can accompany you and the car if he is worried about it. We are talking 1 hour's time with an appointment. If he says 'no' then find another car. I sell many cars for my elderly car club members and a request for inspection (out of the buyer's pocket) is not unreasonable unless the closest dealer is located too far away and would be too time-consuming. It also indicates a serious buyer, not a 'tire kicker'. This is serious money whether it be a $4,000 car or a $14,000 car.
I just went through the Chevy dealer, and they told me id be around $90. I told them my concerns about the car and they said no problem, they'll inspect it
Old 10-28-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroguy7
I just went through the Chevy dealer, and they told me id be around $90. I told them my concerns about the car and they said no problem, they'll inspect it
Best $90 you will spend for peace of mind, and especially if they find 'issues'. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Help buying this 99 z28?