Sponsored by:

Winter Storage Tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 06:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Always glad to help.

Frankly, I've never heard of winter storage as a proven primary reason for failed valve springs. I could understand an already flawed or weakened spring breaking as a result of a cold start, but that wouldn't specifically require the term of winter storage to occur. I've stored many cars over the years with stock springs/stock cams as well as aftermarket springs with aftermarket cams. This has never been an issue for me.

In aftermarket cam/spring applications though, valve springs may require occasional replacement that would not be expected nor required with stock equipment. Cam profile, rpm range (both peak and normal cruising), and spring type would all play a role in a recommended inspection or change interval.
I had asked a sponsor how often I would have to change springs. He told me they would last longer if the car dosent sit with springs loaded for extended periods of time. So thats why I was wondering what effect if any it would have sitting half a year.
Ill worry about the springs in a few years I guess
Thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat here about storage. Last winter wasn't bad at all, I ended up driving it only slightly less than normal, which is only about once a week or so anyway. This year is supposed to snow more...I don't have a problem driving my car in the winter as long as the roads are clear so hopefully I won't have any extended periods of down-time where I can't take it out. It does kinda need an oil change though...I don't know if I should do that now or just wait til Spring. It was last changed almost a year ago which I know is a long time to wait, it was late December, with synthetic oil, I've only just put 3,000 miles on the car in those 11 months. I planned on changing it when it got to 3,000 but now I don't know if it's worth it to change right now or just wait til it warms up.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I had asked a sponsor how often I would have to change springs. He told me they would last longer if the car dosent sit with springs loaded for extended periods of time.
I guess I can see the thought process behind this, but if the car isn't stored and is driven consistantly during that period, then the springs will see additional wear due to usage. Either way, I'm not sure that it's fair to say that winter storage would be any harder on them than constant usage and regular cold starts in winter temps.

Same could be said for other parts of the engine as well. Some would argue that allowing an assembled engine to sit without runing for long periods can allow the piston rings to score the cylinder walls. That isn't necessarily untrue (although not a serious concern for ~6 month storage terms IMO), but the alternative (regular cold starts to prevent this) comes with it's own set of negative side-effects. Most of the wear that a typical street engine will see during a run cycle (in normal driving conditions) is due to the cold start. So whatever good you might be doing by running an engine regularly during short term (winter) storage can easily be offset by introducing additional wear from all the extra cold starts.

I guess if you are really concerned, you could do something like this...

Originally Posted by FryZ71
If it bothers you pull the fuel pump fuse and turn the car over to keep pressure off the same spring all winter
...but personally I have never done that for winter storage, and have never had a problem.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 11-06-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind of on topic, but do you guys change your insurance coverage while it's stored?

Would it make a difference if it's stored in your own garage versus a winter stoarage facility?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by TORK?
Kind of on topic, but do you guys change your insurance coverage while it's stored?

Would it make a difference if it's stored in your own garage versus a winter stoarage facility?
When I had "normal" insurance on mine, I used to drop the liability and collision portions of the policy during winter storage. Those provisions are only needed if the car is going to be in motion. Comprehensive is what covers you for all events that would/could happen when the car is just sitting.

The savings from doing this could be pretty significant if you are young and/or have a less than perfect driving record.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick Reply: Winter Storage Tips