Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

k&n airfilter how much horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by murphinator
I just replied to his new post about which handheld tuner to buy - you called it Fry_
At least he asked this time. Although doing a search would have been better.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
This is exactly why you should do a search or ask questions before buying parts, not after. Otherwise you'll be asking about your new hand held tuner, and Flowmaster catback that you have on the way.
LOL that is the truth
Old 11-16-2012, 01:11 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by bjohn
Here's my first hand proof that K&N's suck de nutz... My MAF after throwing away a dirty K&N.

Particles that big would not have been sucked through any air filter, paper OR cotton. That looks to be due to a poorly sealing lid, a poor fit/seal between the air filter and lid, or some other leak in the system.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is that hay on that maf ? you been field bombing lol
Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 160 Likes on 145 Posts

GM High Tech Performance dyno-tested a stock Pontiac Solstice -true, not an fbody-and then replaced it with a k&n filter and it picked up 8 hp just with the filter and nothing else. It was in an issue a few years ago but I'm positive the filter gain was 8 hp. And it's not a waste of money of the filters will outlast the car. I have no complaints with mine.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No complaints with my k&n. Just don't over oil. And don't expect to get thrown back in ur seat by simply changing an air filter
Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan C
And it's not a waste of money of the filters will outlast the car.
Except it cost more to clean and re-oil a K&N than it cost to throw away and replace a Wix, which does a better job of filtering.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 160 Likes on 145 Posts

I've had my k&n filter in my 99 TA for 20,000 miles and it still doesn't need cleaned. I think it's a good investment and any added hp is a good thing.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan C
I've had my k&n filter in my 99 TA for 20,000 miles and it still doesn't need cleaned. I think it's a good investment and any added hp is a good thing.
It is a loss of HP.

Do people not read?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Simply put it this way. Remove any restrictions or at least open it up a bit. You will see 5-10 HP gain. SLP's FlowPac is probably the best for intake. I was lucky and got my FIPK K&N for free with the purchase of my car.

I had a blue firebird before this and when I removed the SPL CAI, K&N Filter, and Whisper air lid. The car drove like ****. I guess I was used to the gain.

Just read the instructions carefully and you wont make the same mistake others make on servicing your filter. I am all for the K&N filter. Just ask yourself, "Would you want to breathe through paper/cotton?"
Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow.. People just don't read.

Stock paper filters outflow K&N filters!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lemons12
Wow.. People just don't read.

Stock paper filters outflow K&N filters!!!
Just because I read it, doesn't mean I believe it. Sounds like Anti-K&N conspiracy garbage to me.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PhoenixFBody
Just because I read it, doesn't mean I believe it. Sounds like Anti-K&N conspiracy garbage to me.
Do you research... It so incredibly easy to find it is unreal.

This isn't at THEIR testing facility which is obviously going to biased. Like stated, they will do 10 pulls and see which one dynod the most and run with it. And you believe what they type WHILE THEY ARE SELLING SOMETHING. You must blow through a lot of money on infomercials.

Chrs1313 has proven the stock paper filter outflows the K&N... And not on some dyno pulls that have 3-4Rwhp variations over a few pulls.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^Don't know about that. What I've read about the K&N is that if anything, it has pretty decent airflow, but it allows more particles into the motor as it doesn't filter as much as the other brands.

My car came with one on it and it's a pain to get it to seal well with the lid but other than that it I have nothing to complain about, an air filter is an air filter.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Do you research... It so incredibly easy to find it is unreal.

This isn't at THEIR testing facility which is obviously going to biased. Like stated, they will do 10 pulls and see which one dynod the most and run with it. And you believe what they type WHILE THEY ARE SELLING SOMETHING. You must blow through a lot of money on infomercials.

Chrs1313 has proven the stock paper filter outflows the K&N... And not on some dyno pulls that have 3-4Rwhp variations over a few pulls.
I'm a fan of sarcasm too!!!!!! I guess I have to repeat myself when I said I didn't pay for my FIPK. I have other people in this same thread who said they had gains by dyno. So your opinion is no greater. I personally used both filters and would never consider going back. You think its my loss, but I think you're wrong. Get over it please? Thanks.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

A sealed airbox/intake setup with a paper filter (no filter is best obviously) and a Chrs1313 ram air (unless you make your own) will make more power than ANY other setup, there are WAY too many results to argue that.

How can you argue scientific experiments? Air flows better through the paper than the K&N, period. You can't argue that at all. That is proven fact, not some BS dyno reading.

I'll keep modding by facts and results... You keep modding your way.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Teching In

A sealed airbox/intake setup with a paper filter (no filter is best obviously) and a Chrs1313 ram air (unless you make your own) will make more power than ANY other setup, there are WAY too many results to argue that.

How can you argue scientific experiments? Air flows better through the paper than the K&N, period. You can't argue that at all. That is proven fact, not some BS dyno reading.

I'll keep modding by facts and results... You keep modding your way.
Sounds good. Have fun!!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

SLP's FlowPac is probably the best for intake.
The air bellow is not good for anything other than appearance. Performance wise, it's useless.

Any air lid + a paper filter will show the same dyno results (within margin of error) as the same air lid with a K&N filter and an SLP bellow.

UOAs usually show higher silicon (dirt) content on samples from engines with K&N type filters. Not a critical amount, but more dirt none the less. Any flow difference is marginal so long as the paper filter is clean, and you will NOT see any solid dyno/track gains from putting one on an LS1 F-body period. However, K&N will outflow a dirty paper air filter because the K&N simply does not trap as much dirt (hence the higher silicon readings). So if you did before-and-after testing with a used/dirty paper filter and a K&N, this would explain any small gains that might be seen.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The air bellow is not good for anything other than appearance. Performance wise, it's useless.

Any air lid + a paper filter will show the same dyno results (within margin of error) as the same air lid with a K&N filter and an SLP bellow.

UOAs usually show higher silicon (dirt) content on samples from engines with K&N type filters. Not a critical amount, but more dirt none the less. Any flow difference is marginal so long as the paper filter is clean, and you will NOT see any solid dyno/track gains from putting one on an LS1 F-body period. However, K&N will outflow a dirty paper air filter because the K&N simply does not trap as much dirt (hence the higher silicon readings). So if you did before-and-after testing with a used/dirty paper filter and a K&N, this would explain any small gains that might be seen.
I haven't done any testing myself. Would you agree that the Cold Air played a bigger part in my experience than the filter? Glad to get an opinion on that Smooth Bellow. Was wondering about it.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Would you agree that the Cold Air played a bigger part in my experience than the filter?
Most definitely.

With any of the induction kits that K&N sells, the measureable gains are found in the improved induction pieces rather than the filter itself. This is also true of the aftermarket air lids for LS1s (the ~7-13rwhp gain comes from the lid swap, not the filter).

If you just pop a replacement K&N panel filter into the stock air box, the only way you'd see any gains from this would be if the paper filter it replaced was dirty.

Glad to get an opinion on that Smooth Bellow. Was wondering about it.
I've never seen any solid gains posted from this mod, nor have I seen higher average gains with people installing a bellow + air lid vs. an air lid alone.

In some applications, a bellow change might be worth some gains. But for these cars, the bellow is such a short, straight shot that there is nothing measureable to be gained from the swap.

Quick Reply: k&n airfilter how much horsepower