New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a muscle car, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The f-body is an older car so of course it'll be cheaper, but it has outdated technology compared to the cars I posted. If you want the best you have to pay for it. Besides the cost of the car was never mentioned but now you're playing that card. Oh and the G8 will accept much wider tires just so you know.....
Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
A few hundred pounds mean a lot at the drag strip but not on a full size race track.
A few hundred pounds means WAY WAY more on a road course than a dragstrip.
All the cars I listed will out handle AND out power the Camaro so it doesn't stand a chance in a road racing track. It's obvious you don't know much about cars.....
They all have similar power to weight, and run similar 1/4 mile times. As far as handling goes, Ill say it again, the CTS-V is the only one that can come close, the other two don't have the tire or suspension tuning to keep up (and the G8 is just simply to heavy). A 1LE 4th gen car would run circles around them, a properly modded 4th gen would do even more.

The Caddy CTS-V holds the fastest lap time at Nuremberg with a time of 7:59 on factory tires.
Holy wrong batman.
That was the time for the V2, and not any record for factory tires. The V1 did 8:19, 1 second quicker than a Cobalt SS.
Please don't post again until you inform yourself more.
You may want to take a look at this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-raci...ies-track.html
Old 11-18-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

According to many previous f-body owners it's a POS compared to the cars I listed. Plus the LS1 motor is down on power compared to the larger LSx motors in those cars. I'd take my G8 over 10 f-body's because it's such a great car.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My stock 02 runs off from my buddies 04 V and he has a catback, Im stock. I would love to see tail lights from anything you listed.

Not a car you listed i would choose over a trans am. Buddy has a V as a daily, other has a gto .
I would choose the trans am i just bought ten times over either.

Nothing you listed has any kind of advantage over an fbody.
Redhot, you are absolutely out of your mind.. Im so glad you don't post as often as you use to

Op.. Easy to work on, cheap to repaid/mod, huge potential. No real downsides to the platform.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The f-body is an older car so of course it'll be cheaper, but it has outdated technology compared to the cars I posted. If you want the best you have to pay for it. Besides the cost of the car was never mentioned but now you're playing that card. Oh and the G8 will accept much wider tires just so you know.....
Huh? Cost is everything. If OP is seriously considering getting into a 4th gen Camaro, I would be surprised if a car that costs 2-3x as much, such as a V or G8 is even being thought of. "Best" is subjective and why you feel the need to compare a nearly 20 year old pony car platform to modern day sports sedans is beyond me.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

As I said the f-body is a POS car compared to the other refined cars. I'd rather have a slightly slower refined car than a fast POS. Besides a cammed/CAI/headers/tuned G8 will eat up a cammed/CAI/headers/tuned f-body because it has LS3 heads.

Last edited by RedHotG8; 11-18-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lol.. Ill keep 20k in my pocket and buy a car i like way more any day!!

You keep the grandpa cars to yourself.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I paid $20K for my G8 4 years ago and it's still worth that Bozo! Yeah and all you have is a little boy's car that isn't worth squat.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I actually have two little boys cars, one to handle the light **** like your pile.. Then one for playing with the big boys.

Im glad you think your opinion is more correct than everyone else's.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

I paid $20K for my G8 4 years ago and it's still worth that Bozo! Yeah and all you have is a little boy's car that isn't worth squat.
Well guess what... My "POS" ss has one thing that your soccer mom car will never have... a 6 speed manual transmission!!!

haha and just noticed.. this moron still using a "superchip" step up the the big leagues and get an HPtuners tune...
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

As I said the f-body is a POS car compared to the other refined cars. I'd rather have a slightly slower refined car than a fast POS. Besides a cammed/CAI/headers/tuned G8 will eat up a cammed/CAI/headers/tuned f-body because it has LS3 heads.
Lol if you truly think that Im sorry. Do you pay attention to what they actually run on average? The g8 is at a great disadvantage at a drag strip.

Besides.. One of my pos unrefined trans ams has ls3 heads, it just has a cam... What happens when you run into one like that?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why do you think the new Camaro rides on the same chassis as the G8 and has virtually the same drivetrain? Because it's a much better car than the older f-body Camaro. And in 2013 GM is bringing the G8 back as the Chevy SS because it's such a great car. You don't see them bringing the POS f-body back!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why do you think the new Camaro rides on the same chassis as the G8 and has virtually the same drivetrain? Because it's a much better car than the older f-body Camaro. And in 2013 GM is bringing the G8 back as the Chevy SS because it's such a great car. You don't see them bringing the POS f-body back!
God you are clueless.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default !

According to many previous f-body owners it's a POS compared to the cars I listed. Plus the LS1 motor is down on power compared to the larger LSx motors in those cars. I'd take my G8 over 10 f-body's because it's such a great car.
Thats not the argument, we were discussing which is a better handling platform, the 4th gen wins for SCCA class racing and road course (this is not to say the others handle bad, just not as much potential - the V having more than the GTO or G8 though).
The 4th gen LS1 being "down on power" (not really, 50hp down from the V1 and ls2 gto, and 10hp from a G8 GT) is pretty irrelevant as its light enough to make up for the power difference and runs similar or better times than the others.
You like your G8, we get it, thats all you post about. But lets stick to informational posts here.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're the one that doesn't realize the f-body is a POS Bozo.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

ha ive never seen soo much dumb in one post.... ok boy so we better watch out for any car with LS3 heads guys.. they are FASTTT OMGG! lmfao

and a "tune" means you actually tuned it... not a superchip...

ARE YOU STUPID!!!... "they didnt make another F-body..." WTF do you think the ZL1 is retard lol
Old 11-18-2012, 09:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

As I said the f-body is a POS car compared to the other refined cars.
Excellent! This way we don't ever have to worry about a nice F-body being wasted on you.

Please don't ruin this thread with your unpleasant attitude any longer. You obviously hate these cars, have nothing but poor/incorrect info to post about them, and don't enjoy any discussion that involves them. Please just move on.

Thank you,
-TECH Staff.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice and f-body don't belong in the same sentence. LMAO!

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
ha ive never seen soo much dumb in one post.... ok boy so we better watch out for any car with LS3 heads guys.. they are FASTTT OMGG! lmfao

and a "tune" means you actually tuned it... not a superchip...

ARE YOU STUPID!!!... "they didnt make another F-body..." WTF do you think the ZL1 is retard lol
Wow you are really an idiot! The ZL1 rides on the same Zeta chassis as the G8 not the f-body chassis. And the Superchips tune works great for the mods I have. When I install headers and a cam I'll use a different tune you loser. Oh and I have a 6-speed trans too, I can shift it manually or let it shift automatically which is quicker than you can shift your car fanboy.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

RedHotG8, the OP has expressed an interest in an F-body Camaro and NOT in a G8. It makes you look foolish to continue attacking a car in the name of another car that nobody has even asked about...lol.

I have asked you nicely to stop. You are now attacking other members and acting childish. Please stop and move on now, or you will be taking a vacation from the site to cool off.

Thanks,
-TECH Staff.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

OP what is your price range by the way?

Quick Reply: Thinking about a muscle car, few questions