New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire spin/0-60

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got rid of a lot of 0-60 spin with connectors and strut brace... doubt the brace did anything but maybe. I can say the reduction in the car twisting has had a lot to do with the better plant. Control arms are suppose to make quite the difference I'm told with getting power to the road
Old 11-30-2012, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Gary and MMWS6 for the responses. When I get around to giving it a tune up, I'll probably go ahead and change out the fluids in the gearboxes as well, although if the differential is synthetic then it should be fine and I'll probably just leave it alone and only do the transmission.

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
I haven't been able to get my car to hook on the street at all either. Spins way too easily. And if I start with it in anything lower than D it's even worse. Car likes to try to get sideways too. I wish I could find a way to hook on the street on street tires.
Unless these cars naturaly take off in second to satisfy some kind of fuel mileage requirement, it shouldn't really matter if you start in 1, D, or OD since 1rst gear in 1 is the same gear and same ratio as 1rst gear in D or OD. If it's like my p/u truck when you put it in 2 it will start and stay in 2 no matter what you do, but some vehicles will still start in 1rst even if you put it in 2. I believe my car starts in 1rst everytime but maybe I haven't been paying attention and it's actually taking off in 2nd when I'm not pushing the peddle down. I'll have to both listen when the next time I drive it, and read up on that. Thanks for the response.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajwoodtransport
Unless these cars naturaly take off in second to satisfy some kind of fuel mileage requirement, it shouldn't really matter if you start in 1, D, or OD since 1rst gear in 1 is the same gear and same ratio as 1rst gear in D or OD. If it's like my p/u truck when you put it in 2 it will start and stay in 2 no matter what you do, but some vehicles will still start in 1rst even if you put it in 2. I believe my car starts in 1rst everytime but maybe I haven't been paying attention and it's actually taking off in 2nd when I'm not pushing the peddle down. I'll have to both listen when the next time I drive it, and read up on that. Thanks for the response.
It depends on the year how the trans acts when you manually put it in X gear.

Also, D (3rd) uses all the clutch packs... OD does not. Put it in D/3rd when racing.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12
It depends on the year how the trans acts when you manually put it in X gear.

Also, D (3rd) uses all the clutch packs... OD does not. Put it in D/3rd when racing.
Oh, ok....that explains why I have to take the overdrive off when hauling my trailer in my p/u truck. I always wondered what the reason for doing that was. In some semi truck transmissions you can spec them out to be either overdrive or direct drive. Aside from fuel mileage reasons....I heard or read somewhere that the direct drive transmissions stay cooler but cause higher differential temperatures under full load....and the overdrive transmission is suppose to run hotter but cause less differential temperature under full load. Assuming I read that right, I always thought that maybe the overdrive gear in automatic p/u trucks just couldn't handle the slightly added heat while under full load or didn't like the constant shock loading of a trailer banging back and forth on a sloppy hitch...but the clutch pack engagement or lack of engagment makes more sense. I've never torn open an automatic transmission. Why doesn't all the clutches engage in overdrive? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Launching!

In drive(D) we do start in 1st, if we start in 2 then it will hold 2. It is for winter driving and anytime traction is a concern. That one is covered in the owner's manual. Try 2 and you should have better results. I found mine was able to launch not too bad, but as soon as it hit around 4K RPM you had better be on your toes! lol
Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info MMWS6.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Got home for a little bit today. Didn't get a chance to inspect the spark plugs, but had a few minutes so I changed out the fuel filter. It didn't look old on the outside, but man it had a lot of dirty fuel in it.....a lot more then my p/u truck has when I replace it's fuel filter once or twice a year. And my pick truck is a couple years older then the car. Just got back from getting some dinner and while I was out I floored it through 1rst gear. Now I can feel more power surge at higher rpms. I guess it must of been starving for fuel at high rpms. Plugged up fuel filters happen all the time in semi trucks but I never really gave it much thought on cars. Then again, I change the one in my p/u truck often enough that it must never really get plugged up....therefore there is really no contrasting difference in performance after I install a new one. This Camaro is a former police car and when I talked to the police station that had it, one of the officers said that my car had been stripped of it's equipment years ago and has pretty much just sat for the last several years since they bought Mustangs back in 07/08. So I guess the maintenance on it had been pretty old. Anyway, it was running good before and now it's running a little better...so all is good.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garygnu
change the trans fluid if it ain't red.you would benefit from drag radials to prevent wheel spin.also consider some suspension parts like ,lower control arm ,and new shocks.
Lower control arms will help a lot
Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MMWS6
In drive(D) we do start in 1st, if we start in 2 then it will hold 2. It is for winter driving and anytime traction is a concern. That one is covered in the owner's manual. Try 2 and you should have better results. I found mine was able to launch not too bad, but as soon as it hit around 4K RPM you had better be on your toes! lol
I've heard this before and found some reference for firebirds but there is nothing for the Camaro. Source? I have never driven an a4 Camaro that starts in 2nd.

Quick Reply: Tire spin/0-60