New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much HP does a lid give you...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004 | 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unit213
Come on now Crager, you know that nitrous is the best bang for the buck. Britney Spears would be a nice bang for a buck too.

The stock intake system with LS1's is absolutely terrible. Here's what I would do if I had an LS1 fbody again...

TSP lid, K&N filter, FTRA, MAF ends (M6 only), baker hose (smooth bellows), Bauer ported TB, LS6 intake manifold.
Just to add to unit's post. The TSP "clear" lid is great. Mainly because you can see if the filter is sealed correctly. I would also order the Holly Powershot filter instead of the K&N. The K&N has fitment issues and needs a gasket (which warped my Whisper lid and why I got the TSP). I would bet alot of people are running around with K&N's not fitted properly and letting in debree to there intake. I would also reccomend taking out your baffles and sealing your intake to your hood. If you've fot the money get the Brian Green's Ram Air. Otherwise you can take out the baffles and seal the intake yourself with that thick weatherstripping. That's what I did and it worked great.

What would MAF ends do for me Unit. I'll be getting the throttle body sometime soon but haven't researched MAF ends?
Old 04-19-2004 | 03:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dal1as

What would MAF ends do for me Unit.
Honestly? Not a whole lot but better airflow can't be a bad thing.
Old 04-19-2004 | 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ws.6kid
no not really just curious of how much power my car is outputting thats all... but i guess i dyno run will have to be done...

im just debating whether a lid is really worth the money... But i will eventually get one hopefully soon...

it would be even more of a waste to spend $75 for dynoing the gains of a lid. lid & filter is probably the first thing to buy. it's never a waste if you plan on modding anything at all. even if you spend $5000 on heads cam, you'd still want a lid if you didn't already have one.
Old 04-20-2004 | 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

If I have an SS, do I already have the SLP lid?
Old 04-20-2004 | 05:44 PM
((((((Administrator))))))
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by technical
If I have an SS, do I already have the SLP lid?
No. That would be an option for 2002 cars from SLP.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 04-22-2004 | 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

It is a 2002 SS. And there were SLP options on the car. How can I tell?
Old 04-22-2004 | 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jrp
do a search, gmhtp just did a lid shoot out last issue
yeah that was kinda cool to see the differences from one lid to another.. crazy stuff.. the lid is performance and it gets that big ugly out of there and gives you a look at the engine a bit more.. now ya just gotta get rid of the EGR, AIR and what not
Old 04-22-2004 | 12:33 PM
20 Year Member

It is a 2002 SS. And there were SLP options on the car. How can I tell?
Open the hood and look at the lid. If it has two BIG "ears" around the MAF then it does not have the SLP option lid.

And on the passenger's side door you'll see the SLP build sheet, or if you have the SLP window sticker still. Look for an option called "Twenty Horsepower Performance Package" or 345hp or something like that.

You can also call SLP with your vin number and ask them the options. Their link is on the right --------->

Peace,
Craig.
Old 04-22-2004 | 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

From: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies

The Qaurtermile Performance or the SLP lid are rated to perform the best according to GM Hi-Tech Performance Magazine. Yes, they do work. This mod is an LS1 favorite and a classic, go for it. QM Performance has them for about $80.00 by the way. DO NOT BUY IT USED.
Old 04-23-2004 | 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CRAGER
Open the hood and look at the lid. If it has two BIG "ears" around the MAF then it does not have the SLP option lid.

And on the passenger's side door you'll see the SLP build sheet, or if you have the SLP window sticker still. Look for an option called "Twenty Horsepower Performance Package" or 345hp or something like that.

You can also call SLP with your vin number and ask them the options. Their link is on the right --------->

Peace,
Craig.
If you're ever around my way, feel free to stop by and smack me. It says SLP right on the damn thing. It's black on black and I never noticed...
In my defense, I've had the hood up twice since I bought it. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-23-2004 | 08:57 PM
20 Year Member

If you're ever around my way, feel free to stop by and smack me. It says SLP right on the damn thing. It's black on black and I never noticed...
In my defense, I've had the hood up twice since I bought it. Thanks for the info.
LMAO!!!
Thats too funny man! No biggie boss, thats what this site is all about man. No problem about the info, anytime.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 04-25-2004 | 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stoleit
also do the free mods.
I've done a search, but I guess it's too vague since I don't really know what I'm looking for. Got a list, or link to these "free mods"?
Old 04-25-2004 | 04:30 PM
TECH Resident
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by heyitsTaJay
a friend of mine dynoed it and he got 12hp from it with a regular filter, and 13hp gain with a K&N filter.

J
so the total is 25hp yeah or no?

Originally Posted by TX_SS
i got the speedtek lid..and gave me 13hp and cost me 90 bucks..
thats great
Old 04-25-2004 | 08:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

If memory serves me correctly our TSP lid was the best dynoing lid in the GMHTP comparison. But one thing I do agree to is a lid is a great investment!

Jason

Originally Posted by CRAGER

Peace,
Craig.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 04-26-2004 | 02:50 AM
TECH Resident

Tripp stop tripping. If you don't like these type of posts, don't read them and don't post on them. That way you don't waste any of your valuable time helping out a newcomer.

I have a TSP lid ($90)and I love it. Its better than the Granatella I use to have. Your next mod should be a catback exhaust. I run a magnaflow which flows 1000cfm. It's stainless steel so it last longer and looks great. Its got a low deep tone until you jump on it. I read somewhere that it was good for 15 to 20 RWHP. It sells for $369 shipped at Jeg's. Then go with the FTRA ($75 used) and an ASP Pulley ($150). You should get 40 RWHP from the above mentioned items. Not bad for a grand total of $700.

Good Luck!
Old 04-26-2004 | 06:41 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by LS1SS4ever
so the total is 25hp yeah or no?

thats great
No way a lid and a filter will give you 25rwhp. Mods aren't additive like that. They work in combination with one another.
Old 04-26-2004 | 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

From: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies

Originally Posted by unit213
No way a lid and a filter will give you 25rwhp. Mods aren't additive like that. They work in combination with one another.

I agree. It's probably worth 10-12hp, 15 MAYBE. 15 for sure if you have fast toys ram air.
Old 04-26-2004 | 03:17 PM
Teching In

i read about the free "ramair" mod...is that as good or should i just get the airbox kit,also does it work with the hood scoop?
Old 04-26-2004 | 04:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by laguns
...also does it work with the hood scoop?
The hoodscoop (factory ram air) does nothing basically. It's an appearance mod.
Old 04-26-2004 | 05:44 PM

GMHTP says 10rwhp, but I got 2 w/ SLP lid.

Quick Reply: How much HP does a lid give you...