New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads or Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the other day i talked to a guy named John at Texas Speed and he suggested a just save my money and get some 225cc As Cast heads and cam package with a 233/239 cam. I forgot about my $300 dollars in my savings. So I'm at $1300 now. But i'm wanting to get as much HP out of my car with it still being a DD. I'll save myself some money and do the swap myself. I just recently finished school with a associates in Automotive so i know my way around the vehicle. Just the tune is whats gonna cost me. But now im considering a bigger head than the 225cc. What do you guys think?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ccstarnes7
Plus the fact im only working with around 800.
Your not going to do either a heads or cam swap properly for that amount of cash. Cam alone= $400, dyno tune= $400 to 500, and add a few hundred for the handful of other parts needed to do the work properly. And I surely wouldn't toss in a MS3 cam in a F-body with stock heads and stock gearing, as there's many far better cams choices out there for that kind of application. IMO, be patient, save some more coin and do it right the first time.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Your not going to do either a heads or cam swap properly for that amount of cash. Cam alone= $400, dyno tune= $400 to 500, and add a few hundred for the handful of other parts needed to do the work properly. And I surely wouldn't toss in a MS3 cam in a F-body with stock heads and stock gearing, as there's many far better cams choices out there for that kind of application. IMO, be patient, save some more coin and do it right the first time.
That what I was saying in my post above yours is that I was saving up and that I was at like $1300
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ccstarnes7
That what I was saying in my post above yours is that I was saving up and that I was at like $1300
Good to hear. $1300, now you're getting in the realm of doing a cam swap with a dyno tune. You don't want to get a hurry and skimp out of this stuff. Doing it right and well thought out the first time will certainly save you regret and headaches down the road. Good luck
Old 02-25-2013, 07:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullitt117
It is best to do heads and cam at the same time, so you can get a cam and heads set that match each other well.
I agree with you there. Get a kit which includes the heads and cam at the same time. Its worth waiting and spending that little bit extra.

Quick Reply: Heads or Cam?