New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help please before i burn something up!!!....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Need help please before i burn something up!!!....

I'm waiting on stall that's coming back from precision industries, but now have the transmission in my possession after sending it to get a oil pump replaced.
Along with the Transmission, the guy who built my 4l60e, gave me a case of DEXRON VI, a semi synthetic trans fluid that is suppose to make the trans run cooler and a lil better. I came across a knowledgeable friend of mine, that claims, DEXRON III is the only thing i should put in the trans. Anything else will burn the clutches within a year. The higher the number VI loses viscosity... Now im no fluid guy, but hope some ppl with actual experience in this matter jump in.

I'm at a lost here guys, any help will be appreciated...

Thanks in Advance!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A
I'm waiting on stall that's coming back from precision industries, but now have the transmission in my possession after sending it to get a oil pump replaced.
Along with the Transmission, the guy who built my 4l60e, gave me a case of DEXRON VI, a semi synthetic trans fluid that is suppose to make the trans run cooler and a lil better. I came across a knowledgeable friend of mine, that claims, DEXRON III is the only thing i should put in the trans. Anything else will burn the clutches within a year. The higher the number VI loses viscosity... Now im no fluid guy, but hope some ppl with actual experience in this matter jump in.

I'm at a lost here guys, any help will be appreciated...

Thanks in Advance!
do a search on dex 6 and you will see when GM created the dex 6 spec that they made the formulation backwards compatible/supercede all gm auto trans back to the powerglide.

what this means to a built variant of any gm trans will depend on what the builder feels as far as which fluid he wants to specify to maintain warranty. Some people embrace change others stick to what they have known and used...

my understanding is that now dexron 3 is no longer a gm spec so no new fluids can claim they are dex 3 , instead the reference to dex3 has to be more vague , cant recall the exact wording but basically something like compatible with vehicles designed to run on dex 3
Old 02-13-2013, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres the verbage on dex 3/dex 6 changeover and it also addresses the lower viscosity you mentioned:

Dexron-III
In 1993, GM released new Dexron-III fluid. It is generally backward-compatible with transmissions originally filled with earlier Dexron fluids or with Type-A/Suffix-A fluid.
[edit]Dexron-VI
The fluid specification for Dexron-VI was introduced in 2005,and was first used as the GM factory-fill automatic transmission fluid for model year 2006. All Dexron-III licenses expired permanently at the end of 2006, and GM now supports only Dexron-VI fluids for use in their automatic transmissions.[3] Fluids asserted by their manufacturers to meet Dexron-III standards continue to be sold under abbreviated names such as Dex/Merc, but the licensing system no longer exists. These fluids are not regulated by GM.[4] Dexron VI is of a slightly lower viscosity when new compared to the prior Dexron fluids (a maximum of 6.4 cSt at 100°C for Dexron VI and 7.5 cSt for Dexron III), but the allowed viscosity loss during use (from shearing of the ATF) is lower for Dexron VI, resulting in the same lowest allowed final viscosity for both Dexron III and VI (5.5 cSt).[5] The intent of the lighter viscosity is to gain an incremental improvement in fuel economy by lessening parasitic drag in the transmission. Since Dexron VI is not allowed to thin out (lower its viscosity) as much as Dexron III during use, it requires the use of higher-quality, more shear-stable (thins less in use) base stocks (the base oils, to which additives are added to make ATF).[4]
Old 02-13-2013, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your running a cooler though right?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys, I have a better understanding of why the switch. From what im getting, 6v is a lil thinner than 3, but should maintain more stability and wear less.
Im trying to do everything possible to extend the life of my trans, even though I really dont daily my ride, but it is more of a weekend warrior. Track, rolls etc... so if overall d6 is safe, then ill use it.
And yes, I do have an external trans cooler I believe rated at 26k or 28k Gvw.

Still, if anyone thinks I should stick with dx 3 please give me ur opinion based on experience.

Thx
Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

When I did my stall 2 years ago I went to GM to pick up some dex 3. They told me they dont carry that anymore and switched to dex 6. On my yank card that was sent with the ss3600, it says to not use synthetic but dex 6 is ok. So thats what I used. I put 10 new qrts of dex6 in my trans with the ss3600 23k miles ago. My stock trans now has 115k. I think if the dex6 was not good then I would have seen it by now.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
When I did my stall 2 years ago I went to GM to pick up some dex 3. They told me they dont carry that anymore and switched to dex 6. On my yank card that was sent with the ss3600, it says to not use synthetic but dex 6 is ok. So thats what I used. I put 10 new qrts of dex6 in my trans with the ss3600 23k miles ago. My stock trans now has 115k. I think if the dex6 was not good then I would have seen it by now.

Nice!.... experience like this is what I was looking for. Thx again for coming through with some gd info.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A
Nice!.... experience like this is what I was looking for. Thx again for coming through with some gd info.
Glad I could help But it might just be a good idea to call precision industries and see what they say about it
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Glad I could help But it might just be a good idea to call precision industries and see what they say about it
I did, talk to mike... he is one hell of a guy n very helpful. Pretty much told me not to worry about his converter, it will run on whatever the trans is spec out for. He was more concerned with the transmission than the stall. Lolz, but of course he cant give advice on transmissions, since its not their specialty.
Also, my gm guy who built the trans said it should benefit rather than hurt. But I'm looking for facts, not what anyone thinks may happen. Just playing it safe you know?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone else with extra info or experience on built trans with stall using dex6

Quick Reply: Need help please before i burn something up!!!....