New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does my Firebird have a LS1 or LS6 intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for a bullseye stamping as well. It's visible from the top through all the other junk. Bullseye stamp denotes LS1. Or get one of those mechanic mirrors to check the block code. I couldn't wait to look at mine last year when I came across a car mag online article on the subject. One thing to consider with intakes, if you go boost, is the 2 part design of a fast.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:50 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

The LS6 engine block installed in a F-body car offered ZERO horsepower gains over a LS1 engine block.

The LS6 intake manifold that came in the F-body cars did offer a bit of improvement but was negated by a slightly milder cam in those years.

The real LS6 power gains were realized from the LS6 heads and cam. However, as stated above, there are much better options available on the market today.

The LS6 engine block had improved bay-to-bay windows in the block which slightly reduced oil windage but offered nothing in power.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

^^ Some guys swear there's more power, but personally I don't see how with the same 241 heads, bore and stroke.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is an edited quote from an article and interview of John Douro, GM's Gen III/IV block staff engineer: "First, the LS6 casting was much stronger....and the LS1 block had a 28.5mm vent hole drilled through the center of all 5 bulkheads. Engineers deemed this insufficient for the LS6 block, so a new design with a much larger, cast-in hone-over travel vent window thorugh the 2,3, and 4 bulkheads toward the bottom of the cylinder bores on both sides was created. The results were impressive. Created 87 percent more ventilation on the LS6 block, less pumping loss at higher rpm's. NO OFFICIAL reports of hp gains, but the engineers were optimistic about gains.

I edited about a 6 paragraph article since I'm tight on time and don't feel like typing all day. Fact is; the LS6 block was an improvement. I have no idea if my block is a LS6, but I'm curious to find out.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Not 100% true, a LS1 intake could be off of a Vette and not have EGR provisions, and a LS6 could be bought from SLP with EGR provisions. See the post above^
Exactly, I can 100% confirm that not all ls6 intakes are without egr because my 2000 z/28 has one, and it came like that, was not added on at a later date.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by john.kiley
Exactly, I can 100% confirm that not all ls6 intakes are without egr because my 2000 z/28 has one, and it came like that, was not added on at a later date.
There were no LS6 intakes in regular production for the 2000 F-body model year, so it would not have come with one from the factory and was definitely added post-production if it has one.

As for the LS6 intakes themselves, as mentioned in the post you quoted above, there was a time when SLP was selling them with an EGR provision already added (for fitment on 2000 and earlier cars). But the intakes didn't originally come that way from GM, nor were they an SLP option for new production vehicles (this was aftermarket only, via SLP Online, not any sort of original "Y2Y" option).
Old 05-19-2021, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
There were no LS6 intakes in regular production for the 2000 F-body model year, so it would not have come with one from the factory and was definitely added post-production if it has one.

As for the LS6 intakes themselves, as mentioned in the post you quoted above, there was a time when SLP was selling them with an EGR provision already added (for fitment on 2000 and earlier cars). But the intakes didn't originally come that way from GM, nor were they an SLP option for new production vehicles (this was aftermarket only, via SLP Online, not any sort of original "Y2Y" option).
How do u know forsure there were none? Mine was a late 2000, also it is a Canadian car maybe there is a difference? Anyhow the guy I bought it from was the second owner, can’t be sure it wasn’t added on later but I would be surprised considering how « factory » it looks and just overall patena of everything looks equal in the engine bay.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

How do u know forsure there were none? Mine was a late 2000, also it is a Canadian car maybe there is a difference? Anyhow the guy I bought it from was the second owner, can’t be sure it wasn’t added on later but I would be surprised considering how « factory » it looks and just overall patena of everything looks equal in the engine bay.
They were all (4th gen F-bodies) built in Canada - but are you saying yours is a Canadian-spec car (meaning originally sold new in Canada)? Even still, the LS6 intake was not issued from the factory on 2000 model year F-bodies, even the late ones that might have received the upcoming 241 heads (of which there were a few). GM did not issue EGR with the LS6 manifold but, again, at least one company (SLP) did sell them (aftermarket) with this provision many years ago, for easier retro-fit onto the older models. No telling what might have been added to your car earlier in its life by owner #1 or #2.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

They were all (4th gen F-bodies) built in Canada - but are you saying yours is a Canadian-spec car (meaning originally sold new in Canada)? Even still, the LS6 intake was not issued from the factory on 2000 model year F-bodies, even the late ones that might have received the upcoming 241 heads (of which there were a few). GM did not issue EGR with the LS6 manifold but, again, at least one company (SLP) did sell them (aftermarket) with this provision many years ago, for easier retro-fit onto the older models. No telling what might have been added to your car earlier in its life by owner #1 or #2.
yes sorry it’s a canadian spec car. I know for a fact the second owner didn’t add anything to the car, maybe the first owner got the stuff added then...
Old 05-19-2021, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

Yup. The LS6 intake wasn't available on any car till 2001.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Any difference from conventional 01+ ls6 intake cars? This is my 2000 w/ ls6 intake and egr
Old 05-19-2021, 07:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Any difference from conventional 01+ ls6 intake cars? This is my 2000 w/ ls6 intake and egr
That looks exactly like the SLP-modified LS6 intakes that were sold (obviously by SLP) back in the early '00s for cars that needed the EGR provision (such as those which needed to pass visual emissions inspection). That brass piece is not a GM/factory EGR provision, therefore certainly not stock/original. We put one of those intakes on a friend's '00 Z28 back in 2002 or '03.

So I think we have solved the mystery - either the first owner bought that intake from SLP many years ago when these were still sold (or bought it used), or he modified an LS6 intake in the same way that SLP did for their aftermarket version.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

That looks exactly like the SLP-modified LS6 intakes that were sold (obviously by SLP) back in the early '00s for cars that needed the EGR provision (such as those which needed to pass visual emissions inspection). That brass piece is not a GM/factory EGR provision.

So I think we have solved the mystery - either the first owner bought that intake from SLP many years ago, or he modified an LS6 intake in the same way that SLP did for their aftermarket version (most likely the former).
right on thanks for the info, very interesting
Old 05-19-2021, 11:12 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Yes, this has been verified once again and as RPMWS6 pointed out, the EGR connector at the manifold is a dead giveaway.

The reason this was never done was that it was not just a matter of using one intake versus the other. The change to the LS6 manifold in MY 2001 was coupled with a cam change, all of which required the Federal emissions and fuel economy certifications. This was done on a model year basis, so no new intakes with the old cam on 2000's.

So my 2000 FB is late production - June 2000 - and has the 241 heads and other running changes made late in that model year. Yet it had the LS1 intake. Replacing it with the LS6 back in the day gave me a nice bump in mid-range torque, probably about 15 rwhp, and knocked .15 off my 1/4 time
The following users liked this post:
john.kiley (05-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Does my Firebird have a LS1 or LS6 intake manifold?