Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing headers, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing headers, need advice

Hello, its spring now so I want to start working on the Camaro again. I have a 1998 z26 with a 6 speed. Over the winter I bought a used set of headers, catless y-pipe and Borla catback. So I was thinking at the same time I'm installing those I could fix my transmission, it needs a new slave cylinder. Last fall I installed a new monster clutch, master cylinder and slave cylinder, but as it turns out the slave is defective. I have some questions on the order I should do things; Should I remove the old exhaust first then the transmission? When I'm installing should I install the exhaust first or transmission? I also read when installing headers its a good time to do motor mounts, but I was thinking that since my car only has 68,000 miles, I don't plan on racing more than once or twice a year and their a pain to install that I wont replace them?
Last fall when I did the clutch the alignment pins where corroded really bad and I ended up breaking one of the holes on the bell housing on the transmission side. I tried JB welding it but that failed. So should I replace the bell housing? I am on a very limited budget so I wont if its not a big deal.
Now for some header related questions; what oxygen sensors should I use? I read vette rear sensors work but what is the part number and best brand to use?
Should I reuse the gaskets that are on the car now for the headers to the block?

Sorry for all the questions, I have been waiting to ask for so long and they have been piling up!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

13111 iirc are the correct sensor number.. reuse stock header gaskets.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

Take the exhaust off first, put the exhaust on last. And it is much easier to just knock out the motor mount job while the exhaust manifolds are off. either do it at the same time, or **** the motor mounts for now.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Launching!

The 13111 corvette o2 sensors will be plenty long enough for the long tubes. Remove the stock ypipe before the trasmission removel, once tranny is back in put the headers on. I swapped out my headers twice and used the stock oem gaskets and bolts both times, still no leaks however on the second time couple bolts backout due too viberation. So be sure to check them, use OEM GASKETS! On the passenger side remove the coil pack and bracket for easier bolt access.(it may be easier too remove spark plugs on the driver side for easier removel) Soak the stock exhaust manifold bolts and y pipe bolts with "pb blaster" most of the bolts will break when removing them, pb blaster will make it alot easier for removel. Motor mounts wouldnt be a bad idea, but at the very least change out your transmission mount bushing. My camaro had 45k miles on it when I did header install and that bushing was bad. Get you a nice set of ngk plugs while the headers are out. You can install the passenger side plugs before you install the passenger side header, however on the driver side, get the driver side header on before you install the plugs. The driverside header is alittle tricky too get past the k member so be patient you can get it slid in. There are two bolts and a plate on the driverside on the oil pan(not sure what it is, I think its for a after market sensor or gauge) remove them two bolts and plate and the driver side header should slide past the k member. Your gunna need someone too hold the headers from the bottom while you get them bolted on(common sense be patient and careful not too cross thread your header bolts) get all header bolts snug before you start torquing them down. DELETE THE EGR!!! ITS GARBAGE. Either buy headers with no egr valves or buy the block off plates. I highly suggest if you dont plan on removing your tranny anytime soon WELD! Your YPipe! keep your band clamps but weld everything else. With your ypipe your going to bottom out on every speed bump and it will eventually cause bad exhaust leaks and you will be stuck welding it anyways. I got frustrated with the garbage ypipe and got custom true duels made, well worth the money and low end torgue over a ypipe!!!! With tranny removel make sure you have plenty of extenstions! and a tranny jack it will make life way easier Any other questions feel free to ask, if I think of anything else ill let u know. Good luck! Its not as overwheling or painful as it seems!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Launching!

However the long tubes, ypipe and no cats sound pretty nasty
Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a couple more clips

Light Acceleration:
Tiny Burnout:
(I hate wasting rubber lol)
Idle:

Videos were before the converter went in.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:57 AM
Launching!

Instead of spending 200bucks on the Bosch 13111 o2 sensors get these extentions alot cheaper. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ps...t/model/camaro
Old 03-31-2013, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do the motor mounts also.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses. When I remove the old exhaust and I see the motor mounts are in bad condition then ill replace them, otherwise ill just wait on that. As far as oxygen sensors go, is Denso a good brand to use? I can get those for $46 each at my local parts store. Do I need a tune after I install the exhaust? I do plan on getting a LS6 intake sometime this summer. Would it be OK to drive it like 5,000 miles before getting a tune? And with the new exhaust will my mpg go up at all? Hopefully I should get this job done this weekend and can start driving it now that its finally getting nice out.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

You may not even need extra O2's...Long tubes with ORY you can reuse the stock ones unless they're bad. Basically you'll have 2 that are plugged in and functional (you'll need the O2 extensions) and then the other 2 holes just plug them up with the other 2 stock O2's but they don't get plugged in, just tie them up.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could also look into swapping the wires at your ECM to use your rear o2 sensors as fronts, then you can just use cheaper stock one's.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...vette-o2s.html
Sense your car is a 98 make sure you read post #7.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

PN# 13111

49$ a piece.. Far from 200$.

I have never had luck with extensions.

Quick Reply: Installing headers, need advice