Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trick flow heads combustion chamber chewed up cyl 7

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default trick flow heads combustion chamber chewed up cyl 7

Hey guys when i got my car i got a set of trick flow heads and cam with it. cylinder 7 looks like a ring let go or a spark plug broke off. the valves open and close fine. i doubt theyre bent. but the combustion chamber is chewed up. what should i do? will i be fine. in my head i dont see it being a big deal but what do you guys have to say from experience? should i send them in to get ported out to clean it up? or just throw them on after getting milled with new gaskets? its only that single cylinder. the head can not be junk. i wont accept that. ha thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people will tell you its junk... im with you. Talking to many racers, machine shops I was told as long as its not damaged:

1. where the head meets the block
2. where it influences the valve movement

Then you are okay. If you are nervous about it, you could take it to a machine shop to have it cleaned up.

I used a $1200 AFR head i got on a roller where it had a similar issue, no problems. Im with you, i wouldnt throw them away. Just if you go to sell the car, i would mention it. Posting a pic would help too.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a set of new 215s on an engine that blew. Damage in every combustion chamber, especially bad in #5. I called Total Engine Airflow (they are part of the same company) sent them some pics, and they said they could fix them. They filled the combustion chambers and CNCed them again, to 225cc with 54cc combustion chambers for the 402.

This is the phone number 330-634-2155.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's what I figured . I'm not to skeptical on running them. Just asking to make sure. I'll post a pic later. On my phone now. Thanks guys
Old 04-15-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would test the valve seats for any leakage.fill the ports with fluid and see if they leak down any.with the valve springs off ,see home much you can wiggle the valve stems to test the guides.you could have the chamber massaged to remove any sharp points.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The champers can be worked on some, smoothing can be done if its minor damage. You can fill the chambers and then rework them with a cnc back to original if the damage is more than just some smoothing work.

Quick Reply: trick flow heads combustion chamber chewed up cyl 7