Sponsored by:

TM question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TM question

Hello everyone,
Well, after being LS1-less for about 8 months, my hell is over! Last week I purchased a 01 Z28 w/A4. The last LS1 car I owned was a 99 T/A also an A4 and I had done a few basic mods (lid,filter,elbow,hpp3,3.42) but nothing very substantial. My question may seem a bit vague and a little ignorant, but I'm aware of the changes that were made on the 01,02 cars and I haven't been to the track yet to compare timeslips from my T/A to this car but the Z28 has a VERY difficult time braking the tires loose but seems to pull just as hard or harder than the t/a did. I had no problem braking the tires loose on my t/a (obviously with traction control off and even with its original 2.73 gears and no mods). My Z28 has 3.23 stock and does not have Traction control. I was wandering if torque management could cause the lack of initial power. I was under the impression that it was only active during transmission shifts. The crazy thing is someone must have had a set of aftermarket wheels on the Z because they put a set of LT1-V6-Z28 wheels on it when the traded it in and it has 205/60/16 tires. My t/a had 225? something on it. So I just am a little perplexed at the inability of the car to break these stupid tires loose. Is this normal? Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the advice and a killer tech forum!!!
Old 04-26-2004, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

That is wierd, our SS can break our 275/40ZR17s loose like they are covered in oil, in a straight line, on dry pavement... *shrug*
Old 04-26-2004, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

I have heard that sometimes when you change tire sizes the computer will bog the car down you should be melting your tires my 99 burned my kuhmo 's up and it was stock
Old 04-27-2004, 06:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I couldn't agree more, as I said, my t/a was a bear at the hit of the throttle. I measured the overall tire diameter from the stock 01' size to what is on there now and theres only .5" difference, so I didn't think that would really be enough to make much difference other than throwing the speedo off a couple of MPH. Now, on my t/a I put some Red Line synthetic fluid in it and it developed the same sympton's my Z28 has now. I changed the t/a's fluid back to conventional and problem went away. But I kinda doubt whoever had the Z before me put synthetic in it. Well, thanks for the advice and additional idea's are welcome!!
Old 04-27-2004, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's shifting right at WOT the speedo calibration isn't too far off. I'd look else where for the power loss.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

You should be happy you can't break the tires loose. Traction = better track times.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I would be happy I couldn't break the tires loose- for the right reasons. (Like slicks, suspension, etc..) but not for the wrong reasons.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of ET difference between the cars are you seeing?
Old 04-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Launching!

my 98 z28 seems the same way, If I simply stomp on it in D or OD, it will not break loose(not easily, anyway). It has the stock 16's on it.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I own an M6 but have driven many A4 cars. From a dead stop in a stock A4 with stock 16's or 17's you should burn out through 1st and 2nd EASY!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alpine, as I mentioned earlier I just have not been able to get to the track yet to determine the difference, but again, my butt tells me it is every bit as strong as my T/A was once it gets going.
T-maxx, I couldn't agree more. My T/A had NO problem blowing them loose. As a point of reference, I had a friend of mine drive my Z the other day. He had also driven the T/A and the very first thing he said was that the Z didn't feel anywhere near as strong as the T/A did at the hit of the throttle. Not trying to beat a dead horse here but as I mentioned earlier, I had done a synthetic trans. fluid change in the T/A and it began to do the same thing as my Z does now. I went from blazing the tires to not breaking them loose at all. I proceeded to drain and flush the synthetic fluid from the trans. and it went back to normal. Again, I dont think that someone has done that to my Z but I cant help but wonder if it isn't in the T/C or Trans. Anyways, thanks again guys!
Old 04-28-2004, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Could it be that you're getting better traction due to the taller tire? You said it had 60 series tires on it. That's pretty tall. If they are not fully inflated, you might just be hooking nicely.

On the other hand, my 2000 Z28 is completely stock and I sometimes have trouble not buring the tires.