Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler

Saw an article in the april issue of superchevy for an oil cooler on the ls1 fbody. WHo has done this, and what kind of performance gains am I looking for.

Fry
Old 04-29-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

so I take it that no one has installed a oil cooler on their camaro? Guess I will just have to take the word or superchevy, 30 degrees F cooler! I guess that makes for a better performing engine as a cooler engine puts out more power that one tha is hot.

Fry
Old 04-29-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

guess so, not familiar with oil coolers on LS1s.

Sounds like a good idea, extending engine and oil life. Put a thermostat in the system so the oil doesn't circulate when it's warming up. Actually... better check on that, since oil viscosity changes when it's temp changes, maybe you want all the oil in the system warming up together--even if it does take longer.

Post your thoughts/results
Old 04-29-2004, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

I do not see getting any type of performance gain here. I think that if GM thought hot oil was a problem area they would have put an oil cooler on the LS1 like they did with all 93-94 LT1's with the performance axle.

Oil cooling is only needed for extreme usage such as in law enforcement and taxis...cars that idle for 8-10hrs a day in hot weather. Making 5 passes down the 1320 doesnt require an oil cooler and I would spend your money elsewhere.

Superchevy does good test but I'm not quite sure that lowering the oil temp 30* is going to do anything.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

well they actually did put oil coolers on some c5's and zo6's. I dont know if it was an option or standard, but I do know that they did put them on ls1's just not on the fbody.