Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wake up a 00 t/a auto?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
Why do you keep pointing this out? When someone says "i have 3:42s" or I have 4:10s in the rear, most people with common sense understands what he is saying. I dont give a rats *** that "its an incorrect expression"
If you were discussing compression ratios, would you call a 9.5:1 engine a "9:5" compression ratio?

It's not any harder to write 3.42 (which is correct) than 3:42 (which is incorrect). You may not give a rats ***, but since this is the "newbie tech" section I have pointed this out for those who may be reading this thread and wish to learn the correct expression for gear ratios.

This is the only thing I will agree with you on. I've experienced everything we've discussed. You have your preference, I have mine. We will never agree. I dont care how many threads you pull up to throw in my face. Fact is, alot of people like gears over the stall, and alot of people like the stall over gears.
I didn't pull up any threads at all. Your ire is directed at the wrong person here.

Yes, our perception of looseness (and "street fun") is obviously different, since we have both experienced the same things but have come to entirely different conclusions on the opinion portion of the topic (meaning road manners and "looseness"). In my experience, the majority of people who are looking to modify their cars for better performance will not be nearly as sensitive to this aspect as you seem to be. If a given individual *does* find themselves in the minority group that can't stand the looseness, then gears can always be done afterwards to tighten up the feel at low part throttle. Either way, I will always advocate a stall before gears for any purpose (street or track) where someone wants to improve the performance and fun of their A4/LS1 car. Actual acceleration improvements with a proper stall are exponentially greater than gears in this application, and street fun is also greatly improved (IMO).

Last edited by RPM WS6; 06-23-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fact is... You can not own something that you want mod beyond bolt ons without a converter. Period, can't happen.

If a converter gives you a loose feeling and won't let you see the "pep" of gears... Then why waste money on gears?
This is me trying to view it from your logic, which is flawed majorly in the vast majorities opinion.

And I'm the one throwing threads in your face. If you read through them you would have a much better understanding.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Fact is... You can not own something that you want mod beyond bolt ons without a converter. Period, can't happen.
Can't happen? Hmmm...My uncle's C5 vette had a Absolute stage 2.5 heads, GT2-3 cam, LG longtubes, Z06 catback, ported TB and a 2:73 to 3:42 gear swap. STOCK CONVERTER. Your fact is an opinion.

He loved it. Great daily driver. Never saw the track. 1 street race with my buddy's GTS viper.

He specifically wanted a cam where a aftermarket stall was not needed. The GT2-3 gave him what he wanted. BTW his other car is a '76 camaro with a 454, 12.5:1CR, Crower solid roller, Single plane intake, TH400 w/a 3800 stall, 4:10s & 12 bolt. Made 660HP on a engine dyno.

He hates the stall.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't happen? Hmmm...My uncle's C5 vette had a Absolute stage 2.5 heads, GT2-3 cam, LG longtubes, Z06 catback, ported TB and a 2:73 to 3:42 gear swap. STOCK CONVERTER. Your fact is an opinion.

He loved it. Great daily driver. Never saw the track. 1 street race with my buddy's GTS viper.

He specifically wanted a cam where a aftermarket stall was not needed. The GT2-3 gave him what he wanted. BTW his other car is a '76 camaro with a 454, 12.5:1CR, Crower solid roller, Single plane intake, TH400 w/a 3800 stall, 4:10s & 12 bolt. Made 660HP on a engine dyno.

He hates the stall.
I wouldn't put a stock ls6 cam in an ls1 with a stock converter.. Even that will push on the brakes.

You add heads, cam, gears, etc... And then get stomped by a bolt on car with a 4000 converter.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Race gas, single place, 3 speed, 410s... And he hates the converter. You boys are about backwards.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
I wouldn't put a stock ls6 cam in an ls1 with a stock converter.. Even that will push on the brakes.
100% The GT2-3 is bigger than the LS6 and it drove like stock. ZERO issues with the stock converter.

You add heads, cam, gears, etc... And then get stomped by a bolt on car with a 4000 converter.
Again - not everyone is concerned with racing. You can add some mild mods to a car just like my uncle did to his vette and have fun with it without having to race it.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Finally you realize this is all about preference.

Race gas, single place, 3 speed, 410s... And he hates the converter. You boys are about backwards.
Not sure what your trying prove with this? The car is a monster on the street & the track. 80e is going in soon.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,235 Posts

This has moved away from informative debate/disagreement into the realm of useless banter.

I can't see anything else useful coming from this one.

Bottom line.... you can install gears first and *think* your car is much quicker, or you can do a converter first and gain a great deal more. This is the only factual part of the debate, and there is no question that it is correct. Independent investigation and/or testing will reveal this to anyone who doubts it. This site is filled with over a decade of evidence to support this fact.

As for street manners, this is all a matter of perception and most people who are interested in modifications to increase performance will not find a quality ~3500 stall to cause any significant deterioration in overall driving experience even for a 100% street car. RPMs will rise a bit higher during normal acceleration from a stop and such; it's not a big deal to most, and most get used to it after a short while of driving.

Higher (numeric) gear ratios also come with some negatives, so that option is not a magic bullet either. If you want to significantly increase performance without simply stripping 1,000lbs of weight off your car, any modification that does so will cause some change in driveability or reliability from stock. This is also a fact and not an opinion. If you want the car to literally drive like stock, then leave it stock and learn to be happy with factory performance.

Quick Reply: Wake up a 00 t/a auto?