New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WS6: Things to check out before buying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default WS6: Things to check out before buying?

So this weekend I'm going to take a look at a '99 Trans Am WS6. Besides the regular fluids and rust checking, what else should I pay special attention to for F-bodies? Car is almost entirely stock and only 69k miles. Link to posting here.

Also want to know if the price is fair. For that year/mileage.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that it looks good, $11K for a sub 70K mile WS6 is pretty decent in my book. Look at the parking lamp and fog light housings and see if they are cracked. Definitely check both windows and make sure that they roll up and down without too much struggle. Also look for cracks in the interior panels (door panel, dash). If you care, turn the stereo up and see if any of the speakers sound blown, especially the ones in the sail panel. It may not be a big deal, but it might help you knock off a few bucks if they are blown. The power antennae also can fail after awhile, make sure it raises and lowers. Of course, this is outside of the typical mechanical related items that you would want to look over on any used car. Also, see if they have any kind of service history...some people do, some don't...not a deal breaker.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked with this owner via facebook. The car to me seems reasonably priced. The owner struck me as somebody who has a basic knowledge of the cars but thinks they know more than they do.

as far as what to check. Make sure its a true ws6 by looking at the RPO code on the door. Listen for any rear end noise, check the sail panels for any signs of bubbling, Shift it through all gears on the test drive. Listen for rear end noise, leaking fluids, and the normal used car stuff. Also don't be surprised if you find cracked door panels (common on 99+ cars) or a cracked dash pad.

Honestly for how the car looks it would grab 10-11k in my area easy so if it checks out and you can get it for anything less than 11K I would consider that a good deal for you.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:10 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by black79transam
don't be surprised if you find cracked door panels (common on 99+ cars)
Just curious...

Was there something that changed in '99 that I wasn't aware of? I don't remember any different between the door panels on my '99 versus my '98, but I haven't had any cracked panels so this has me wondering.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys. Been looking for a WS6 in my area for almost a year now, all the good ones are down south
Old 07-25-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look at the shock and suspension,mite need new bushings .check the brakes .check to make sure the head lite pods open and close quick .make sure the rear end works good .
Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by garygnu
look at the shock and suspension,mite need new bushings .check the brakes .check to make sure the head lite pods open and close quick .make sure the rear end works good .
good call on checking the suspension. SFCs can tighten things up disguising worn shocks.

but i like that car. id ask for all proof of maintenance and accident history if any.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Just curious...

Was there something that changed in '99 that I wasn't aware of? I don't remember any different between the door panels on my '99 versus my '98, but I haven't had any cracked panels so this has me wondering.
Ive read that 99+ cars switched materials or something and are known to crack door panels. Ive had to sub 99 fbodies and havent had a door panel crack either. Same thing with the sail panels.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

98-99's had a dark gray plastic interior, starting in 2000 they came out with ebony (dark black)

Not sure on it the 99 and under are weaker material or not!

Like someone said above look at the driver side door for the rpo codes and make sure it is a true ws6, lots of people cloning there firebirds/formulas etc...

Mainly I would check oil, tranny fluid, and listen for any ticking in the valve train...

I can live with brakes, speakers going out since those are fairly inexpensive to replace.. The engine and tranny plus rear end would be #1 in my book to look at..

Deff test drive it and ask to go WOT for a few seconds, that will tell you a lot right there..
Old 07-25-2013, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

If you wanna check if its been in a bad wreck take a tape measure and check center of center cap to center of center cap back to front for distance on both sides shouldn't be off more then 1/4 inch.

I agree with seeing it at wot but would have the owner do it because if something where to happen it would be on you.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ds98formula
If you wanna check if its been in a bad wreck take a tape measure and check center of center cap to center of center cap back to front for distance on both sides shouldn't be off more then 1/4 inch.

I agree with seeing it at wot but would have the owner do it because if something where to happen it would be on you.
I agree with this. When i test drove my ws6, the owner told me to step on the gas on the freeway. However, for some reason, i feel uncomfortable driving other peoples cars, so i asked him if he could do the freeway run instead of me and he agreed. It was funny though cus he missed 3rd lol
Old 07-26-2013, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

I always tell the owner my best friend is a cert. mech. and wants to look at the car before I buy. You see the sellers reaction if he has issues with the car or is telling you everything he knows.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sgtrgpfdps
I always tell the owner my best friend is a cert. mech. and wants to look at the car before I buy. You see the sellers reaction if he has issues with the car or is telling you everything he knows.

If at all possible I do this with every car I buy. You can usually talk with a dealership beforehand (if you dont have a close mechanic friend) and ask them to do a used car vehicle inspection.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Good advice so far ... I would also turn the headlights on and off and make sure the doors go up and down properly with no unusual noises.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Good advice so far ... I would also turn the headlights on and off and make sure the doors go up and down properly with no unusual noises.
^Was just about to bring this up. Pop the hood and look at the headlight assembly to make sure everything looks to be in working order (check for the yellow/tan bumpstops for the headlight arms, without those you will run into issues.)
Look at the sail pannel (body colored pannel between the t-tops and the rear hatch) for bubbling - common defect.
Check under the car for aftermarket suspension, and under the hood for any mods.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Did you buy the car? I see the posting has been removed

Quick Reply: WS6: Things to check out before buying?