Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 California smog legal swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 California smog legal swap

Hi guys I am trying to identify my LS1 year of manufacture. YOUR input would be awesome. The engine has a 174 block and from all the info I have seen this casting number was used in 98. The heads have a casting number of 853. These heads are usually found on 99 and up ls1s. The engine looks original I was told it has never been touched (all stock) and has 90k miles on it. The breather set up is 98 style. Could this engine be a late 98 or early 99 Hybrid with leftover parts? ( I hear GM did that with leftover parts) The engine reportedly came from a Camaro ss which was wrecked but still running. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have to know the year to collect parts for a California smog legal swap on a 91 Camaro Z28.

Last edited by aqadavey1; 09-05-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Anybody? I need to move forward with getting the proper year parts so ANY input would help. Also, I cant find any build threads for a California smog legal swap. I know people have done it who are on this site but there is no good pick rich build to guide me through this process. I guess if nobody responds I will assume its a 98.
Question; My 90k ls1 reportedly runs great, but is some what dirty due to a broken pcv hose. should I disassemble clean and replace valve cover gaskets etc or simply clean and install? Thanks for your opinions in advance.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I don't have the block casting numbers memorized, but I can say with complete certainty that I have never seen a '98 engine come stock with 853 heads. These heads also require centerbolt valve covers and rail mounted ignition coils....all items that were introduced for '99. A '98 engine should have come with 806 heads with perimeter bolt valve covers and individually mounted coils.

Of course, it's always possibile that someone has changed heads on this engine, but you seem fairly sure that it's stock, so perhaps it's possibile that it's an early '99 engine.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You really need to do your research. From what I've read there are more and more laws getting passed and it's getting to be almost impossible to do a swap on a late model vehicle unless you buy the incredibly expensive e-rod LS3 from GMPP.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fry_
You really need to do your research. From what I've read there are more and more laws getting passed and it's getting to be almost impossible to do a swap on a late model vehicle unless you buy the incredibly expensive e-rod LS3 from GMPP.
+1 Do your research and try to find someone that has done this before. I read a Thread about a guy who swapped his rx-7 with a v8 in california and made it 99% legal but cant remember where.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Or you could always just move to a place where it doesn't matter.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for your responses. A guy around the corner from me recently passed his Nissan 240sx with a ls1 swap so I will ask him how he did it. These swaps are both popular and possible under current law. I am however concerned over the changes coming next year where 97 and newer wont do the dyno test but will have to get plugged into a diagnostic computer. Dose this mean no more computer tunes will be legal? OBD1 96 and older still get the dyno. I just got a set of 241 heads and was going to add a LS6 cam but wont that be useless without a computer tune?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by aqadavey1
Thanks guys for your responses. A guy around the corner from me recently passed his Nissan 240sx with a ls1 swap so I will ask him how he did it. These swaps are both popular and possible under current law. I am however concerned over the changes coming next year where 97 and newer wont do the dyno test but will have to get plugged into a diagnostic computer. Dose this mean no more computer tunes will be legal? OBD1 96 and older still get the dyno. I just got a set of 241 heads and was going to add a LS6 cam but wont that be useless without a computer tune?
OBD II started in '96, not '97.

I can't speak for CA, but here is what happens in IL:

'96 and up cars receive only an OBD scan test. There is no longer any sort of dyno test (I/M240) here, this was dropped about ~10 years ago. '95 and earlier cars are now exempt from the test.

'96 and up cars can most certainly still pass with a custom tune. We do that here all the time, and I have passed myself with custom tunes on various '96+ cars.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Teching In

RPM that is great news! while I don't believe they will eliminate testing for older cars, If we can still tune the computer there still is hope for California!! 241 heads on the way, which cam should I be looking at for a mild build? I am looking at aftermarket intakes as well as the LS6 intake. I hear you can smog a 224/224-114 cam here in cal but I am not sure I want to go that far from stock. I still want drivability and a relatively smooth idle. Suggestions?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

This may give you some guidance (amazing what google can do!) http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresource...uidelines.html
Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
This may give you some guidance (amazing what google can do!) http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresource...uidelines.html
Thats a pretty good link but it's also from 2010. A lot can change in 3 years. I remember reading a thread where a guy with a second gen TA that had a horrible time getting his car through smog every time he fixed one problem the next smog ref would find something different or there would be a new law passed. You might just want to try to get a hold of a smog ref and ask them what the current requirements are, I'd also leave the motor completely stock till its passed the ref inspection.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by aqadavey1
RPM that is great news! while I don't believe they will eliminate testing for older cars, If we can still tune the computer there still is hope for California!! 241 heads on the way, which cam should I be looking at for a mild build? I am looking at aftermarket intakes as well as the LS6 intake. I hear you can smog a 224/224-114 cam here in cal but I am not sure I want to go that far from stock. I still want drivability and a relatively smooth idle. Suggestions?
A 224/224 114lsa can certainly be tuned for excellent street manners and relatively smooth idle. That would be no problem at all.

I'm not sure what gains you hope to see with the 241s, but they are only marginally better in stock form than the 853s you currently have. The only improvement is the casting process (resulting in a better internal finish for the 241s), and once either head is ported then there is no difference at all. It would not be worth swapping stock 853s for stock 241s, and if you plan to get the heads modified they both have the same potential once ported.

In terms of specific smog concerns, I agree with the guys above. You really need to sort that out with sources that are specific and accurate for CA.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dam i knew that stuff was strict out there but geez, that sounds like it totaly sucks. ive never had a vehicle inspection in my many years and 8 cars.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice guys. RevGTO, That article from the California bureu of air resources is great. I am looking to use 243 heads instead of the 241s now. (after smog certification) I will try to call or make an appointment with the California ref before I get started building the engine. Has anyone here had a complete harness made? which company's would you recommend? What prices should I be ready for? I need a harness with the smog equipment included. As yet I haven't seen any company advertise a complete smog harness for sale. JDEP162 cal sucks and is great at the same time. In November I will be cruising the beach in my 70 chevelle while you guys will be dreaming about spring lol

Quick Reply: LS1 California smog legal swap