Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-pipe question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
Thunder Racing which is out of business made 3 different cheatr cams. You can look up the specs on google and just order it as a custom cam with the specs or lots of sponsors have their own version of what should be used with stock manifolds, cats and stay emissions legal. The intake duration should have 219 intake duration or less with a decent split and on the more technical side a valve overlap of around -5 to -8 and IVC around 42. Shops likes Texas-speed sell a package where you can order everything you need to swap the cam.
IMO, at a bare minimum go with -6* overlap especially with the CompCam grinds since the actually specs can vary enough for the overlap to be off up to several degrees. I'd try to keep the LSA as low as possible while maintaining at least -6*, and the IVC in the 35 to 42 range depending on what rpm range you want to see the most gains. IMO a nice cam that comes to mind is a Crane 216/224 114lsa, lift .585"/.585" with a IVC of 37, but like said it all depends on what going to be ideal for the individuals needs/wants.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, at a bare minimum go with -6* overlap especially with the CompCam grinds since the actually specs can vary enough for the overlap to be off up to several degrees. I'd try to keep the LSA as low as possible while maintaining at least -6*, and the IVC in the 35 to 42 range depending on what rpm range you want to see the most gains. IMO a nice cam that comes to mind is a Crane 216/224 114lsa, lift .585"/.585" with a IVC of 37, but like said it all depends on what going to be ideal for the individuals needs/wants.
Is there a preferred brand you would recommend? And id a cam swap in our camaros hard? Seems pretty tight under the hood, I understand all the belts and stuff need to come off but is there enough length to pull it out without taking the engine out? I apologize for my ignorance, the lsx series engines are new to me. I worked on sbc's though. Idk whether they are completely 2 different animals or kinda similar in some aspects.

This must be a emissions legal car unless I can somehow get around it.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A cam install with changing the valve springs should be around 1000 dollars depending on who does it. Your cam will keep you emissions legal with a valve overlap of -5 and below. I believe ls1howto.com is still up and has a how to change your cam.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
A cam install with changing the valve springs should be around 1000 dollars depending on who does it. Your cam will keep you emissions legal with a valve overlap of -5 and below. I believe ls1howto.com is still up and has a how to change your cam.
Alright, sounds good. I'll have a look at the site. Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blazekillerace
Is there a preferred brand you would recommend? And id a cam swap in our camaros hard? Seems pretty tight under the hood, I understand all the belts and stuff need to come off but is there enough length to pull it out without taking the engine out? I apologize for my ignorance, the lsx series engines are new to me. I worked on sbc's though. Idk whether they are completely 2 different animals or kinda similar in some aspects.

This must be a emissions legal car unless I can somehow get around it.
No I don't have a preferred brand, there's plenty of good brands available like Cam Motion, Comp Cams, Crane, Lunati, Bullet, Howards, etc....
Not really hard to change the cam, but the radiator and fans do need to come out and the AC condenser will need to be moved up or down so it's out of the way.

Quick Reply: Y-pipe question.