Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install time

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header install time

It seems like a lot of people are running headers. I assume they aren't too hard to install. How long does it typically take to install headers on these cars?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:50 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They're not "hard" -- more like they have their PITA moments. The "hardest" part is if one is replacing motor mounts at the same time. There is a great thread on header/motor mount installation here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html
Old 10-09-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I printed that write up before I started (pretty overwhelming). You do not have to remove the A/C. You do have to unbolt starter and tie out of the way and loosen (not remove) the alt. Remove the entire MM assembly from frame and reinstall MM bolts from the back on both sides (for ease of access for reinstall and future removal). If you have air tools and long swivel extensions, it's not that bad. Good luck and take breaks
Old 10-09-2013, 11:55 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
I printed that write up before I started (pretty overwhelming). You do not have to remove the A/C. You do have to unbolt starter and tie out of the way and loosen (not remove) the alt.
This is where I think there are simply a couple different approaches at getting things done. I did not touch the starter (nor did I remove the oil filter); however, I unbolted the alternator and a/c compressor to give myself more room on each side. IIRC, it's only five bolts for the compressor and two bolts for the alternator.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

The amount of time is relative to wether your doing this on the ground or on a lift, the tools you have, whether you have air, etc. They are not hard, just time consuming because some of the tings are just in small difficult place to reach very well. I did mine on my lift with a friend and took me about 8 hours. now that I know all the problems though, I could reinstall them in 1/2 that time plus i took breaks to stop from getting annoyed.

I also think the misconception of what to and not to remove stems from the header design. For example I know the pace-setters and tsp headers have a rep for being hard on the driver side to get in but easy on the passenger side. My Slp's have a different design and it was the complete opposite, driver side went in in about 5 minutes with no stering shaft issues at all. The passenger side I removed the starter,a/c compressor and motor mount bolt and still couldnt get the room to wiggle it in. I ended up pulling out the 3 bolts from the subframe and it slid in like butter and I had it bolted up in the matter of a few minutes. had I dont that in the first place i would have been done 2 hours earlier but never saw anyone post that because i assumed they all were designed the same way. Just a heads up too, I would deff recommend gear wrenches for installing these. they come in very handy.

Find out what header you want and then find a write up or ask someone who installed that exact header and ask them what they did. It will save you time and troubles
Old 10-09-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^true^^^ and all good advice. I have installed 3 sets of pacesetters and they were "easy" compared to the time it took me just to remove midtubes. Cutting off that little casting tab on the driverside slides em right in.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info, I have a set of pacesetter headers. By the sounds of it I should wait till I can get it in the garage.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

The only thing I had to do was unbolt the drivers side motor mount and lift the motor up a little. Otherwise the BBKs dropped right in. It took way longer than I wanted... A lot of little problems added up quickly.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greasygears
Thanks for the info, I have a set of pacesetter headers. By the sounds of it I should wait till I can get it in the garage.
Make sure while you're going through the effort go ahead and swap out the motor mounts. It make that job a lot easier without the headers.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have very little experience with working on F body vehicles. I did the headers on my car, and I have to say, it wasn't that bad. Some of it was a major pain, but if I had help it wouldn't be bad. FYI - my headers are Pacesetters as well.

I had to remove both coil packs, moved a/c compressor, egr assembly (turns out it wasn't necessary), alternator, and the airbox assembly. I just took my time and observed things before I just tore anything out. And like everyone else says, many breaks help your sanity.

Took about 11 hours by myself. If I had a lift, air tools, and someone to help me it would've taken me about 3 hours less. It sucks having to change vehicle height, working down low, working up high, moving to find tools constantly, ect. ect.

Quick Reply: Header install time