New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004 | 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Default Cam Question

I'm thinking about purchasing a gm hot cam and was wondering how much of a horsepower gain is there after installing it on a 1998 LS1? Also does anyone know how much it would cost to have someone install a hot cam?
Old 05-05-2004 | 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can do it yourself, it's fun!

Since you will be taking out the factory ones anyway, put some stronger pushrods in there too. I mean you have to take the factory ones out anyway, may as well give yourself stronger pushrods while you're at it

I have the Hotcam in my M6 car. It's a nice cam, it really likes nitrous! The only bad thing about this cam is that it almost requires tuning. Mine is not tuned, and I CAN daily drive it, but it surges a LOT - tries to kill itself all the dang time

I don't really know how much power it will give you but I can give you a comparison

I raced an LS1 SS a few nights ago, we have similar mods except he doesn't have headers or a cam. I beat him about as bad as a stock LS1 would beat a stock LT1. It gives a nice up-top pull. Not to mention it's really lopey
Old 05-06-2004 | 12:42 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

If you're going to all the trouble and cost isn't a big deal, go with a TR224 on a 112 LSA. It'll sound and act just like the hotcam, except you'll have 20 more horsepower at the wheels.