New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Questions for road track car

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013 | 10:27 AM
Teching In

Default Newbie Questions for road track car

Howdy LSx peeps… hope to be one of you all soon. Will be looking for a LSx mainly as road track car, but also fun street car. I don’t have any road racing experience, so the first action is just to get out there and then upgrade/replace parts as the break or I feel I need them. I’m more of an engine guy, so I will be datalogging and learning the whole tuning aspects to determine how I’d like to mod the engine… I’m thinking eventually high compression, higher reving, E85 for the future. Couple questions:

-First I’m 6’5” and have owned a 99 z-28 and 99 vert C5… which both fit me well, but this is without helmet. I’m sure either c5 (including FRC) and f-body will be fine with aftermarket seat, hopefully giving me at least another 1”, but 2” would be very nice.
-The C5 is more purchase and race then the f-body… my thought is even as a road racing noob, the f-body would needs suspension mods?
-What about oiling… are there any concerns with either platform?
-how about cooling pertaining to engine and drivetrain... I live in AZ and many of the events would be approaching 100deg ambient
-Both the f-body and vettes have LSD correct… are they torsen or clutch?

Currently I’m mainly thinking about 97-04 with LSx… but how about LT1 f-body? I don’t have much garage room, so pulling an engine would be difficult. If you are keeping the short block and engine controls, how would a modded LT compare to modded LS? How about the rest of the drivetrain?

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 11-08-2013 | 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

You ask a lot but the driver mod is the biggest one in a car. In our Solo 1 group one of the fastest cars was a pretty much stock lt1 camaro with ls1 front brakes. The engine was stock but the shocks and springs were upgraded. He use to give fits to heavily modded zo6's.
The corvette with less weight and irs is a much better platform. The LS engine has a reputation for oil starvation. Some would add an extra half quart for track days or you can upgrade the windage tray/oil pan. I never had a problem with mine but I always kept a watch on the oil level.
Old 11-08-2013 | 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

there is a road racing forum in the racing department group.

shocks,sway bars,tires

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions for road track car