Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 408, what does that mean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 408, what does that mean?

I know this has nothing to do with new owners, but I am a new owner and I am not sure what that means.

People say something like LS1 383, LS1 408, LS1 402, but what does all that mean?

I tried to google this stuff but nothing comes up to my comprehension. Is it just boring your block to the specific size? Like let's say my LS1 right now is 346, does it just mean I bore it to 408 and call it an LS1 408? Someone clear it up for me please, it's been bugging me all day and now I can't sleep.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:59 AM

All it means is it's a 408ci LS1. Or a 383 or whatever.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

away to describe engine displacement .a 383 would be based on a ls1 block ,bigger cubes are based on ls 6.0 and ls2 blocks .the 6.0 ls iron block is a very affordable way to build a bigger ls motor,370+ ci .a ls1 block can be honed out .010 max ,you can install a 4" crank to get a 383 .check Texas Speed to compare blocks .
Old 11-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Teching In

I already knew that the numbers stood for cubic inches.

I'm still at a lost though not sure if I understand too much. I know what they are, I just don't know how you MAKE it INTO one.

Like let's say I have my 346 LS1.
1) What do I do to get a 383 LS1? I know this is asking for spoon feed but I can't find the answers anywhere.

2) What do I do to get a 408 LS1?

Really looking to get a better understanding of things. Does it just mean you switch out the block? How does an LS1 go to 383 with just .010 hone and 4" crank?
Old 11-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Teching In

U can change the rod length and stroke by getting a different crank. As well as boring the block (u don't have to bore the block to make a stroker motor tho.) that will make it a stroker. Look up kits on eBay and they will have everything u need.

Also u can buy the book at barns & noble called big inch small blocks and it explains how to do what ur asking.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by peterWU8
I already knew that the numbers stood for cubic inches.

I'm still at a lost though not sure if I understand too much. I know what they are, I just don't know how you MAKE it INTO one.

Like let's say I have my 346 LS1.
1) What do I do to get a 383 LS1? I know this is asking for spoon feed but I can't find the answers anywhere.

2) What do I do to get a 408 LS1?

Really looking to get a better understanding of things. Does it just mean you switch out the block? How does an LS1 go to 383 with just .010 hone and 4" crank?
Are you unsure how displacement is measured?
Its the volume of air that a cylinder takes up between the bottom dead center stroke of the piston, to the top dead center stroke. So if you increase the stoke("length"), you increase the volume of air that the cylinder takes in. Like wise if you increase the bore ("width") you also increase the volume of the cylinder. The majority of engines on the market have room to bore and stoke over the stock size.
So if you add a "stroker" crank to an LS1 giving the the pistons a longer stroke you increased the displacement of the engine. If each cylinder holds 43.25 CI of air between the TDC of the stroke to the BDC of the stroke, then you add more stroke so the piston travels down even further (for 383ci you're adding 4.62 CI per cylinder, so 47.87 CI per cylinder, (x8 cylinders = 383 CIs)
Of course there is a limit to how much you can bore or stroke a certain engine as you can run out of physical room.

Links that may help:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
http://www.eaglerod.com/index.php?op...d=40&Itemid=25
Old 12-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Good post JD. I think a lot of people are under the impression to get a larger CI you must bore the motor.

You see people go both ways, most go larger CI some go smaller CI for quick response and higher reving. Think of an F1 motor in this aspect.

Quick Reply: LS1 408, what does that mean?