Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.73 gearing with 3500 stall/cam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Microtech82
As I've never had a stalled vehicle before, I'm apprehensive about going as high as a 4k stall. Some people say it's too much for a DD, others say it's fine. At first I only wanted a stall just so I could cam the car, and planned on a really small stall (just enough to avoid idle issues). Then, after I had done more research and set my heart on the 228r, our local GM tuner strongly advised me not to go any lower than a 3200 with that cam. Now I'm thinking a 3600 would better compliment the 228r while still retaining good street manners for my daily commute, ie not being the obnoxious shmuck spinning the motor to the moon just to hang with traffic from a light. I think I'll stick with the 3600 for now and see for myself how it feels. If I end up wishing I had a higher stall I can restall it.
Definitely get a 3600-4000. Keep in mind, you can custom spec a torque converter and this will cost no more than an off the shelf one from Yank. At least in my experience using FTI, actually it was cheaper and that was still the same high quality single disk billet unit. Greg (FTI) could hook you up, Chris at Circle-D also has a lot of offerings. Talk to them.

Just a couple videos for sampling

This first video is an FTI 3600 w/ 1.78 STR, mine was custom spec'ed to be a 2.35 STR, helping to tighten it up even more and provide more torque multiplication
Old 12-28-2013, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I made the mistake of continuing my research. I felt I was set on pairing an SS3600 Yank stall with the 228r. Reading all these threads though... Seems like it is a decent combo for modest gains without going wild, but it seems like everyone who got a 22X cam was pleased with their purchase but wished they had gone a tad bigger in the low 230s.

So now I'm thinking that I'd rather go a little bigger. Instead of the 3600 with a 228r, I'm gonna go for a 4000 with a Torquer V2.

Quick Reply: 2.73 gearing with 3500 stall/cam?