Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rack and pinion question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rack and pinion question...

so i was working on my truck the other day and my my 2000 trans am out in the driveway while i was working on it, i know the rack and pinion was leaking but it wasn't too bad, well when i went to put my car in the garage over night it totally blew in the 12 feet i had moved it, my question is should i rebuild it or just replace it??? rebuild kit is like 30 bucks a new one is 250-350...ive never rebuilt one before and not sure how hard it would be
Old 02-05-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

The part that usually blows and spews oil everywhere is the high pressure hose. You might get lucky and just need to replace that.

Otherwise, I'd probably buy a rebuilt rack from your favorite auto parts store. Yours has 13-14 years of wear on it.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by .boB
The part that usually blows and spews oil everywhere is the high pressure hose. You might get lucky and just need to replace that.

Otherwise, I'd probably buy a rebuilt rack from your favorite auto parts store. Yours has 13-14 years of wear on it.
thats what i was thinking, just looking at the cost i didn't know if it was worth it just to rebuild it myself, that high pressure hose usually goes out in my truck with 35's haha
Old 02-05-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when you R&R the rack ,cut one the bolt heads off and install the new bolt going up .so you don't have to lift the engine ,or lower the K-member .
Old 02-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garygnu
when you R&R the rack ,cut one the bolt heads off and install the new bolt going up .so you don't have to lift the engine ,or lower the K-member .
thanks for the heads up

Quick Reply: rack and pinion question...