New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

settling this hydrolock concern...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default settling this hydrolock concern...

ok so ive had the normal SSRA on one of my cars before, never had an issue with the supposed hydrolock and never had an issue with the car running hotter. on the flip side i noticed stronger pulls from a roll and id say it was one of the more noticeable bolt ons. i just purchased the SSRA JAWS for my firehawk, and before i throw it on wanted to see if there was any insight into this supposed hydrolocking issue with SSRA or chris1313 or the slp flowpac. personally, seeing as how rain drops would have to be ingested from the intake underneath the car, then travel a 2 foot plus vertical climb and then go through a filter, then travel through a lid, maf, bellows then TB to get into the engine, i just dont see how this is a concern for drivers with SSRA or a similar brand and driving in any ammount of rain. furthermore if it was a real problem i feel like there would be a bunch of threads on it with claims of hydrolocking and whatnot. the ONLY way i could see it being and issue is if you drive through a deep puddle fast, where the force of the hit could carry the water up through the system. but does anyone have any evidence to the contrary? any bad reviews/damage? i know the JAWS is kinda new and there might not be many people with it but it appears the only concern with SSRA JAWS is ingesting small woodland animals.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the SLP cold air induction package and have never had this problem. My LS1 blew up for other reasons though
Old 03-06-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
I have the SLP cold air induction package and have never had this problem. My LS1 blew up for other reasons though
the slp one though doesnt extend all the way down to the bumper like the SSRA or chris 1313 does
Old 03-07-2014, 05:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it unless you like to submerge the front of the car under water.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by _JB_
I wouldn't worry about it unless you like to submerge the front of the car under water.
exactly what i was thinking, looking to see if there was any hard evidence
Old 03-07-2014, 11:30 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Do a search on hydrolock on the External Engine forum. There have been a number of threads over the years. My take is that there is increased risk with bottom feeder systems, though the likelihood of it actually happening is small - depending on how often and when you drive your car, the frequency of torrential downpours in your area, etc.

Quick Reply: settling this hydrolock concern...