Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evap delete on a 98 Camaro... How? :/

Old 03-14-2014, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Evap delete on a 98 Camaro... How? :/

I used the search button -__- NO LUCK.
Soooooo... I cant put gas in my car. Im leaning towards the evap. I replaced Charcoal canister, purge solenoid and the evap canister purge (iirc thats the name, correct me if im wrong). I still cant put in gas, it will click at about .090 gals. Then just spill gas :/ its really annoying since its my daily. Ive search but only find really good info but for 99+
Im just gonna remove the EVAP completely. I just need to know what to cap off and what not to since im gonna end up with same problem......
Any useful help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if the EVAP is the same on the the 98 vs the 99-02. I know the tanks are differant.

On my 2000 Z, I removed the EVAP solenoid on the the intake manifold and used a rubber nipple to cap off the intake, I also used a rubber cap on both ends of the hard line next to the fuel supply line. Then I disconnected the the flexible line from the top of the sending unit on the tank. I ran a 3' hose from that line in the rear bumper and put a little valve cover breather filter on the line. This will vent the gas tank as far back as you can get it so you don't smell gas fumes. Last I had my tuner turn off all the DTC trouble codes for the EVAP so no SES light.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks. Yeah the tanks are different on 98s. Its awesome specially in situations like these haha :/ i i tried disconnecting some evap stuff today but no luck, still cant pump gas.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Anyone? Still waist deep in this :/
Old 03-22-2014, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A '98 is a good thing in this situation as the evap canister is not on the tank itself
as the plastic tank cars are. The problem is in the rear the tank is not vented.
The vent valve which is normally open has possibly found a short to grd or some
type of critter built a nest to obstruct it or just a part failure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
98 vent.pdf (106.5 KB, 614 views)
Old 03-22-2014, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your going to remove your evap system, not solve your problem, be in violation of law, cause the computer to throw emissions code, and then you won't be able to pass emission inspection if you have them.

look up on youtube how evap system works.
the purpose of the evap system is to prevent fuel vapor from escaping into the atmosphere- at all times. when car is off the fuel system is completely sealed. there is no power going to the evap solenoids and they remain closed, so if you remove all that and cap it you are accomplishing nothing.

the reason your gas tank wont fill has nothing to do with the evap system.

it has to do with your filler neck and vent tube. when you remove the gas cap your fill vent is there with the filler neck in one form or another, either a separate tube outside the fill neck or a tube within. chances are it's not the vent tube because it is very unlikely for them to get clogged, it's most likely the anti-siphon valve that's part of the gas tank where the filler neck hose connects at the tank. they are a little valve under very light spring pressure keeping them closed, if you turn the gas tank upside down no fuel will come out. but when you fill the tank with gas the weight of the gas flowing down the fill neck should overcome the anti-siphon valve and go in the tank. when the valve is stuck closed or doesn't open more than 1/4 inch then you can't fill your tank and get your problem. you will most likely need to drop the gas tank and work the valve with a long screw driver, if you can get it to move freely then you might not need a new tank, or otherwise if you were to break the valve off and let fall into the tank that would fix the fill problem but then if you ever roll over you'll spill gas everywhere most likely catch fire and die.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evap delete on a 98 Camaro... How? :/