Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Vehicle Light cause?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service Vehicle Light cause?

Hey guys im going to look at a 00 firebird formula tomorrow. The service vehicle light is on, the owner said it was because the steering wheel clock spring is broke, the horn doesn't work. Could that trigger the service light?
Old 03-21-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never heard of that one. If you're able to test drive it, take it to AutoZone or any auto parts store and have them scan the code for you - they usually do this free of charge (I know AutoZone doesn't charge).

SES lights are triggered by the computer, so it has to be some computer controlled element that went bad for the light to be triggered. I'm doubtful the clock spring is something the car's computer is monitoring. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Agreed...get that code scanned! Or get your own reader...I have one and it comes in very handy.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:41 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x3, have it scanned and it is possible to trigger a Service Vehicle light for something so simple.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Got it scanned, but nothing showed up. My air bag light is on also. Could the broke clock spring be the cause of this?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have an active "Service Engine Soon" light on, then a code has to come up. I don't know everything there is to know about cars, but I don't see how a clock spring failure would trip any kind of warning light unless we're dealing with a vehicle with Stabilitrak, and even then the failure would only cause Stabilitrak to mess up. Since these vehicles don't have Stabilitrak, I think the light is for something else.

Ultimately, this sounds like a vehicle you should walk away from.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Launching!

No service engine soon... It is a service vehicle soon light. I had it scanned at the advanced auto and the guy said it wasn't showing any codes. So I bought the vehicle, it runs,drives, starts GREAT! no smoke or anything, i changed the oil and it looked fine. I read somewhere something simple as a light bulb can cause the service vehicle light to come on.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Hmmm...I've never had that light come on (thankfully it sounds like) so I'm not sure how to diagnose.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Launching!

I feel like its nothing major at all or I wouln't have bought the car. Nothing seems abnormal about it whatsoever. So im sure its a minor issue.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Furious1
Hmmm...I've never had that light come on (thankfully it sounds like) so I'm not sure how to diagnose.
yeah, it's a SERVICE VEHICLE light located just below the high beam indicator. From what I've read it's for BODY codes not ENGINE codes and most scanners won't read body codes but from other threads I've read it can be tripped by Air Bag issues but requires like a Tech 2 scanner so you have to go to a dealer or a mechanic that has a REALLY high end scanner.

just came on in my car tonight and so I shut the car off and did a scan with my Torque app and came up with nothing then when I started it back up it went away, we'll see if it comes back.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

disconnect battery negative for a few mins, let it reboot and hook batt back up, may eliminate the code.

Quick Reply: Service Vehicle Light cause?