New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket in a parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004 | 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ive heard of someone doing burnouts in theyre own drive way and getting tickets for the noise. But thats about it. My neighbors already hate my car, so im not gona try and do anything stupid. Least till the day I move out.
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i was pulled over after a friend and i did some brodies in the local jr high parking lot, (high school has cameras). he ran my liscense. i by no means have a clean record, but he let me off with the same, " if i ever catch you driving like that again..."
Old 05-18-2004 | 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to my Law Enforcement teacher (who is a retired police officer) and he said that a parking lot is a privit owned, but if it is used as a public place then it is controled by the police and they can give tickets-n-such
Old 05-21-2004 | 09:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by God of Thunder
i was pulled over after a friend and i did some brodies in the local jr high parking lot, (high school has cameras). he ran my liscense. i by no means have a clean record, but he let me off with the same, " if i ever catch you driving like that again..."

Ha ha, He said Brodies. That's classic......
Old 05-21-2004 | 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

As far as the private property thing, I'd say most of you have the wrong idea.

Just because it is private property does not mean the police do not have jurisdiction. If you doubt this, walk out into said parking lot, start waving a gun around and screaming. Or bring somebody into your house and shoot them.

You might be able to fight the ticket, but I have little doubt that the officer would be justified by giving you a ticket for careless/reckless driving in any location. They are there to keep the peace, and careless/reckless driving would be disturbing it.

Your right to swing your fist stops where the next guy's chin starts.
Well said.
Old 05-21-2004 | 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by apathy
As far as the private property thing, I'd say most of you have the wrong idea.

Just because it is private property does not mean the police do not have jurisdiction. If you doubt this, walk out into said parking lot, start waving a gun around and screaming. Or bring somebody into your house and shoot them.

You might be able to fight the ticket, but I have little doubt that the officer would be justified by giving you a ticket for careless/reckless driving in any location. They are there to keep the peace, and careless/reckless driving would be disturbing it.

Well said.
I'm thinking you're gonna get more than a ticket for waiving a gun around outdoors period...
Old 05-21-2004 | 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by technical
I'm thinking you're gonna get more than a ticket for waiving a gun around outdoors period...
Well gee, it is on private property.
Old 05-22-2004 | 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whats wrong with saying brodies? thats just what we call em around here
Old 05-23-2004 | 01:55 PM
Launching!

Nothing, its just that I heard the term watching Joe Dirt and didn't exactly know what it was until I read it here.

Originally Posted by God of Thunder
whats wrong with saying brodies? thats just what we call em around here
Old 05-23-2004 | 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SloppyRob
Nothing, its just that I heard the term watching Joe Dirt and didn't exactly know what it was until I read it here.
Is this where you want to be when Jesus comes back?
Old 05-23-2004 | 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its on joe dirt? i guess im just from a hicktown where all of us kids call em brodies. oh well, theyre fun to do, regardless of what you call them, right?
Old 05-24-2004 | 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

I think it depends on the state/city/cop. On Thursday I did a massive burn-out of doom in a parking lot, and once the smoke cleared I noticed a cop sitting in an adjacent parking lot. He followed me for a bit the stopped me. Told me "Although that was cool, you cant be doin that. What if you lost control? If I were to write you a ticket it's 2 points and your insurance will double. If I ever catch you doin it again, I will write you a ticket next time. Blah blah blah." I think he didnt write the ticket because he couldnt because of the whole private property thing, not becuase he felt like being nice. I dunno though.