New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deal of a lifetime? Z28 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The SSRA is a good proven mod, and yes you will still want a SLP lid to go with it. Also you'd be better off with 1 7/8's headers, 1 3/4's will hold you back some when you add a cam. Speed Engineering has a really good price on 1 7/8's stainless steel headers but they wont ship for about 3 weeks.
http://www.speedengineeringlsx.com/s...ersion-25-1021
If this is just a weekend toy and you don't care about gas mileage I'd get a GOOD (Yank, Circle D, FTI) 4000rpm stall converter, trans cooler, and 3.73 gears. The gears wont gain you much performance but it will feel more responsive at part throttle with a big stall like that.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Originally Posted by Swens651
There are a few more questions I would like to address - Will that list of mods create 400HP at the crank?
Since every LS1 makes around ~350hp at the crank, by adding LT headers, catless true duals and an air lid (also assuming tuning for the headers), I think it's certainly reasonable to expect around ~400 crank HP on an '02 car at that point. Without tuning, A/F ratio will not be optimal with the headers, so you'll be leaving potential power on the table. Having said that, if you plan additional engine modification in the near future, it might be best to wait on the dyno tune until after everything is done. The car will still run and drive without a tune for headers, but you simply won't experience the full/optimal power gain of said headers.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
The SSRA is a good proven mod, and yes you will still want a SLP lid to go with it. Also you'd be better off with 1 7/8's headers, 1 3/4's will hold you back some when you add a cam. Speed Engineering has a really good price on 1 7/8's stainless steel headers but they wont ship for about 3 weeks.
http://www.speedengineeringlsx.com/s...ersion-25-1021
If this is just a weekend toy and you don't care about gas mileage I'd get a GOOD (Yank, Circle D, FTI) 4000rpm stall converter, trans cooler, and 3.73 gears. The gears wont gain you much performance but it will feel more responsive at part throttle with a big stall like that.
It seems as though I am getting many mixed reviews on what gears to use. I believe I am leaning towards the 3.73, but one guy mentioned the carrier in the car wouldn't support 3.42, since I have 2.73, but the 3.73 will be no problem? Thank You!
Old 06-10-2014, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Since every LS1 makes around ~350hp at the crank, by adding LT headers, catless true duals and an air lid (also assuming tuning for the headers), I think it's certainly reasonable to expect around ~400 crank HP on an '02 car at that point. Without tuning, A/F ratio will not be optimal with the headers, so you'll be leaving potential power on the table. Having said that, if you plan additional engine modification in the near future, it might be best to wait on the dyno tune until after everything is done. The car will still run and drive without a tune for headers, but you simply won't experience the full/optimal power gain of said headers.
Thanks for the helpful information. I plan on getting everything into the car and lastly doing the tune.. but, I know I'll probably get carried away down the road and add more stuff, which will require another tune.

-On a side note, I am going to clean the throttle body today. Is there a fuse I need to reset or pull out during the procedure for a relearn afterwards? Do I only have to disconnect the battery for the relearn? Or is a relearn not necessary?

Thanks so much!
Old 06-10-2014, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems as though I am getting many mixed reviews on what gears to use. I believe I am leaning towards the 3.73, but one guy mentioned the carrier in the car wouldn't support 3.42, since I have 2.73, but the 3.73 will be no problem? Thank You!
You can't use GM gears but aftermarket gears will work you just have to get gears for the correct carrier. But any way you look at it a good 3600-4000rpm stall converter and a trans cooler are the best mods you can do on a A4 car.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Okay, sounds like a plan! Thanks
Old 06-10-2014, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

1-Stall Converter (not a cheapo Either)
2-Transmission Cooler (don't cheap out here either)
3-SE 1 7/8 long tube headers
4-Y-pipe (You can find a used one in classifieds)
5-Cat Back (Same as above)
6-Lid(same as above)
7-dyno tune

Do you want to do Heads and Cam ?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

Aftermarket(non GM) gearsets for a 2 series carrier are available in 3.42,3.73,4.10. They are referred to as 'thick gears, as they have more material under the gearcut to make up for the difference in carrier flange offset.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Congrats on the new camaro. I was in the same ball park as you, 10k budget, and 7k car purchase. My budget flew in no time, you can never have enough once you start replacing and noticing other things you should replace. While your doing headers, make sure to change your motor mounts with some stronger poly mounts. Youll have easy access with the headers out, good idea to change plugs and wires while your there. I put new header bolts and gaskets too, along with 2 new 02s, a lot of the little stuff adds up quick too. Also, some of my budget was spent on buying a few tools needed to work on my bird. Full exhaust, lid, ported tb and a dyno or mail order tune should get you to 400 flywheel hp.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

FirstYrLS1Z - Thanks for the picture. A picture can tell a thousand words - that's very helpful.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6wanted
Congrats on the new camaro. I was in the same ball park as you, 10k budget, and 7k car purchase. My budget flew in no time, you can never have enough once you start replacing and noticing other things you should replace. While your doing headers, make sure to change your motor mounts with some stronger poly mounts. Youll have easy access with the headers out, good idea to change plugs and wires while your there. I put new header bolts and gaskets too, along with 2 new 02s, a lot of the little stuff adds up quick too. Also, some of my budget was spent on buying a few tools needed to work on my bird. Full exhaust, lid, ported tb and a dyno or mail order tune should get you to 400 flywheel hp.
I can see how the little things really could add up and not allow for one to get as much done as they had planned to. I'm going to stay strict with the 10k rule, and I think I'll be very happy with what I'll have, because I already am really happy and it's stock! I thought my Trailblazer had a little pick up, but not until I got the Camaro haha. Thanks for the tips on those motor mounts and other hardware. I'll definitely look into that.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by madmike9396
1-Stall Converter (not a cheapo Either)
2-Transmission Cooler (don't cheap out here either)
3-SE 1 7/8 long tube headers
4-Y-pipe (You can find a used one in classifieds)
5-Cat Back (Same as above)
6-Lid(same as above)
7-dyno tune

Do you want to do Heads and Cam ?
I would like to do a cam, yes. Heads? I don't know. What do you think?
Old 06-11-2014, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

I would like to do a cam, yes. Heads? I don't know. What do you think?
will you be installing the parts ?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by madmike9396
will you be installing the parts ?
No, I'll be having a local shop do it.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Teching In

First thing I did was free mods just to see the difference. Port and pollished the TB, modded the air box, coolant bypass etc. It actually made an outstanding difference but with the money I spent on polishing compound and consumables I could have added a little mpre and bought and aftermarket TB. But I was bored and wanted to tinker with my new toy. Next for my Z is speed engineering 1 7/8 LT e cut outs 3 in Y and a magnaflow cat back system. Around 1k. Then looking for a stall cam and heads. Good luck to you and your F body.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SDyess
First thing I did was free mods just to see the difference. Port and pollished the TB, modded the air box, coolant bypass etc. It actually made an outstanding difference but with the money I spent on polishing compound and consumables I could have added a little mpre and bought and aftermarket TB. But I was bored and wanted to tinker with my new toy. Next for my Z is speed engineering 1 7/8 LT e cut outs 3 in Y and a magnaflow cat back system. Around 1k. Then looking for a stall cam and heads. Good luck to you and your F body.
Yeah, I don't know if I trust myself on porting the TB, and how much of a difference it will really make, but I do like to mess around with stuff, so I may do the FRA mod.

Quick Reply: Deal of a lifetime? Z28 Purchase