New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still pinging... (thinking about buying a rice burner!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zymosis
Agreed on that one, I read through all of the posts and was waiting for somebody to say he was running lean w/ the white plugs. And it looks like you seafoamed, which I'm a supporter of. (Never personally used it, but watched my dad use it on a friends POS truck)

I think if you do that PVC mod, seafoam the top end, (make sure to change your oil if you decide to put it in there), change O2's, and I really think your ping will be a thing of the past.

Or, just get a tune like 777 said
He got it tuned and sold the car two days after.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-28-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymosis

I think if you do that PVC mod, seafoam the top end, (make sure to change your oil if you decide to put it in there), change O2's, and I really think your ping will be a thing of the past.
I did do all of that with no effect on the detonation!

I am still convinced that something went wrong with the car, since it was fine for 2.5 years on factory tune and than just started pinging until the tune was changed.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ha my bad, I read that something happened 2 days, I guess I missed the important word though....sold....my bad.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy
I pulled PCV valve - the valve and the housing were literally soaked with oil and black sludge . Also, I tried blowing into the valve from both ends (it tastes HORRIBLE ) and it lets the air pass both ways! what kind of a valve is that?

I replaced the valve with a similar one I got from NAPA (it did not fit into the housing very well so i wrapped some electircal tape around it) and put 2 fuel filters in-line. Also I put in some tubing so the valve stands vertical. Hopefully this will stop the oil flowing through it...

Aftwewards, I put 2 cans of seafoam (fuel/oil/vac. hose on TB). Boy did I get a heart attack when I tried to start the car afterwards....

Anyway, I am idling much smoother now and it SEEMS that the ping/rattle is less frequent. I am going to drive it around some more and put in syn. oil on monday...

Well, if you don't hear from me by next sunday, it will mean I'm stranded somewhere between Seattle and LA...

HA! I knew it!

Thats your problem, the PCV system on the LS1 is crap. Get yourself a catch can (im getting one to stop my ping).
Supposedly, the oil gets into your intake, and leans out your engine.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
HA! I knew it!

Thats your problem, the PCV system on the LS1 is crap. Get yourself a catch can (im getting one to stop my ping).
Supposedly, the oil gets into your intake, and leans out your engine.

Yeah yeah, I've put on catch can too, didn't help any.

I DO NOT HAVE THIS CAR ANYMORE! I GAVE UP ON TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS WRONG, RE-TUNED AND SOLD IT.

I pray this does not happen to the corvette I have right now.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

oh my.............
Old 10-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

My dads 1993 pinged pretty bad, so he had the dealer drop in a new block * yet they orded a creat 1994 and then had to wait for the 1993 block, as the creat had different electrical hookups or something * and that didnt help it at all. His 1998, and his 1999 and his sons ( my half brother ) 1994 z pinged also. He was told that they are just gonna do that. he put sixty on his 99ss in a little over two years, and never had a problem with it ( pinged only at very low rpm's )
Old 01-04-2006, 04:13 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 95 TA never did any of the above until 170K miles, I sold it and have no idea how it did after that other than it was in a police or federal impound (not sure) b/c the buyer was running drugs in it (I dont ask where money comes from...)
Old 01-05-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

how about getting it dynotuned by a shop with LS1 Edit or HP Tuners?
Old 01-05-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

I think you have the same problem as I do , your LS1 is sucking oil into the intake from the PVC system. When the oil makes its way into the combustion chamber you'll get pinging since the oil (especially synthetic) has a much higher burn temp than fuel. this is what I did ,and although th pinging sometimes comes back on really hot days, it has helped alot and I can still put down any import I come across, except for the Busa Pictured above.
First you've got to get your intake cleaned out now you can remove it and hot tank it ,I did this because I had a bad knock sensor I had to replace any way, but if you want to do a fairly good job with the intake installed I recommend using amsoil power foam,just follow the instructions it works really well.Once the intake is cleaned you'll need a catch system, I looked at many and decided to do my own,Basically I relocated the PCV valve to the Corvette location in the valve cover the grommet is already their and fabricated a catch from a Grainger sourced air/oil seperator(the smallest they have) plummed between the PCV valve and intake mounted to my strut tower brace.it looks cool,
it works great,and I can visually see how much oil is caught ,when the bowl gets full I just empty it into the oil fill and clean the element.I keep a can of the power foam and at every oil change, or if I get any pinging before I give the intake a quik cleaning.
this type of intake service will make your check engine light come on just re-set it.
sorry I have no photos.