Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About First Time Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About First Time Rebuild

Hey guys! New to the forum. I hope you guys don't hate this question. So I recently got an '88 GTA with an LB9. It runs pretty well and I plan to keep it stock for awhile. My long term goal is an LS1 swap, of course. I was thinking since I can't work on my GTA in the winter and I want a project to work on, I might get an LS1 that has spun a bearing or something and needs a rebuild. My questions are these: (1) Will it be more expensive to rebuild the engine, rather than just buying one that runs? I don't mind a tiny bit more expensive, but part of the goal is to pay not much more than I would for a running motor, and essentially finance the purchase by buying parts periodically rather than just buying an engine all at once. (2) As a guy who has only rebuilt a small gas engine, but has extensive knowledge working on cars, is rebuilding an LS1 too big/risky of a goal to choose for a first rebuild? (3) What should I look for when purchasing a candidate? Basically I want something that just needs a relatively "basic" rebuild, obviously nothing that's thrown a rod through a block. So what do I need to look for to make sure that a rebuild will actually produce a running engine? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edit: Should have added, I'm looking to do a stock rebuild, not a built motor.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your goals are not even close to my goals or most peoples on this msg board. why would you rebuild a motor completely stock unless it was a showcar? well i would add an ls2 timing chain, melling oil pump. are you going to leave the heads stock? my stock valve springs floated / fluttered at 5800 rpm! (thats bad). they are the ls1's weak spot. if you upgrade to a minimum ls6 spring why not add an ls6 2002 cam? i have one and it runs like stock , smooth idle. with my foot on the brake at a light it idles at 600 rpm purring like a kitten. i wish i had gone with a slightly bigger cam. goodluck. ls1 is all about power, why not add some?

Quick Reply: Question About First Time Rebuild