Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues to look for in a used LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues to look for in a used LS1

Hi there!

This is my first post on LS1Tech.com. I'm usually just the guy that reads and lurks forums without contributing, but LS1Tech seems like a community I have to be a part of!

I am planning to buy a 2001 Trans Am on Sunday. The car has a few mods but only 66k miles.

224 Comp Cam
Headers
4.11 gears
SLP Loudmouth exhaust
SLP intake
Custom Laguna Blue paint

Dyno'ed at 386 rwhp.

The tires are in rough shape but overall the owner knows his cars and works at a body shop. This is a 3 owner car, the most recent has only put 9k miles on it in 2 years. It has spent the majority of it's life in a garage.

I have a mechanic that is willing to squeeze me into his busy schedule tomorrow.

He doesn't have the time to do a compression check or put the car on lifts.

What are the issues I should ask him to look for?

The headlights grind when they close, and it has a freon leak somewhere but those are the only issues the owner has told me about.

Last edited by LostLaguna; 09-26-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Window motors will probably need replaced if they haven't already been replaced. If it's a manual, pay attention to the clutch as it may need replaced if the tires were burned off (depends on driver/clutch). Fuel pump would be a good investment if it still has the stock pump. Other than that just be ready to swap out that loudmouth with something that doesn't drone and rasp as much. Enjoy
Old 09-26-2014, 10:26 AM

I appreciate your input! Fixing the window motors was actually part of the deal so the owner just put brand new motors in. I'll ask about the fuel pump.

Words cannot express my excitement!

Loudmouth wouldn't be my first pick either, but im going to roll with it for now
Old 09-26-2014, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I wouldn't be worried about the fuel pump at 66k miles, unless previous owners had a bad habit of always running the tank dry, which is certainly possible with a multi-owner used car. I recently sold one of mine with 107k miles on the stock pump, and it was still great.

Window motors and headlight motors are much more likely concerns, but it sounds like you already have that covered.

Since the car is modified, I'd mostly be concerned about the quality of the gear and cam installs, and what parts were used. Would be good to know what valve springs were used and how much wear they've seen, who did the install, and pay close attention to any abnormal rear end noises.

Unless all the work was done by a reputable shop or a private owner that you can really trust, I would expect some issues with the car as it's used, has had several owners, and there are some significant modifications.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:27 PM

Default cam/gears

All the mods were done by Lethal Performance in San Antonio, TX.

Turns out the car has an aftermarket fuel pump

Last edited by LostLaguna; 10-03-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I wouldn't be worried about the fuel pump at 66k miles, unless previous owners had a bad habit of always running the tank dry, which is certainly possible with a multi-owner used car. I recently sold one of mine with 107k miles on the stock pump, and it was still great.

Window motors and headlight motors are much more likely concerns, but it sounds like you already have that covered.

Since the car is modified, I'd mostly be concerned about the quality of the gear and cam installs, and what parts were used. Would be good to know what valve springs were used and how much wear they've seen, who did the install, and pay close attention to any abnormal rear end noises.

Unless all the work was done by a reputable shop or a private owner that you can really trust, I would expect some issues with the car as it's used, has had several owners, and there are some significant modifications.
Agreed about the stock pump most likely being fine but IMO with a modified car ie Cam, I would most certainly not run the risk of pump failure or insufficient fuel due to a 10+ year old pump.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by 00FirebirdaREV
Agreed about the stock pump most likely being fine but IMO with a modified car ie Cam, I would most certainly not run the risk of pump failure or insufficient fuel due to a 10+ year old pump.
Gotta do whatever makes you feel comfortable, but personally I wouldn't worry about the pump with a cam only setup and such low miles. Fuel demands aren't usually that much higher with just a cam, unless it's a cam so big that you're revving it to ~7k rpm, in which case it's a mismatched setup for the stock heads anyway. If we were talking about forced induction, or a super aggressive heads/cam (or even stroker) setup, then I'd agree about going through the pump (as well as injectors), since the stock stuff probably wouldn't be enough in the first place.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would figure on that freon leak coming from the compressor case seal unless the owner can prove otherwise. Was dye injected into the system and the leak pin pointed? A quality/OEM equivalent compressor will run $500-$800 installed. Usually the LP line, drier, and exp tube are replaced at the same time. Tires will run you $550+ installed for a decent set. 9K miles in two years on 4.11 gears by a "guy who knows cars" and roasted the tires could be very harsh duty. I'd be sure you and your mechanic thoroughly test the engine, trans, clutch, and rear end especially listening for odd noises and vibrations. There are a number of good threads on here about how to properly go through each component. Hopefully, the guy upgraded the rear end from the stock Torsen unit with those 4.10's. Any one of those being messed up will cost you significant money. 66K miles is not necessarily "low" mileage if the car was driven hard, raced, tracked, etc.

Last edited by Firebrian; 10-01-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:20 PM

You're making me paranoid Firebrian!

I already bought the car.

I've had my concerns about how the previous owner spent those 9k miles.

I will have my local mechanic check it out soon because of your concerns. Hopefully all is well and I don't have to spend an outrageous sum to have this car running smooth.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats again, lets see some pics of this blue bird

I'm with the others, don't worry about the fuel pump. Not a common problem with these cars. Change the fuel filter and forget about it.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:42 PM

Smile Thanks!!

Thank you all for posting things to look out for as I am looking to buy my first LS1.!! Drove 1969-Z-28 to school 1970-73.Thanks for Any advice.Kieffer Davis, Wagoner OK.

Quick Reply: Issues to look for in a used LS1