New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Valve Cover Differences

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Valve Cover Differences

I am trying to research the differences in the factory valve covers and their available threaded mounting points

I have searched the forum and Google trying to find the information with no luck

Trying to find the information to the differences in mounting locations on the factory valve covers:
• Which motors have the same covers
• Car valve covers different than truck motor covers etc..
• Maybe it’s a Gen III vs Gen IV difference?

Specifically I’m trying to figure out the front lower mounting hole on the passenger side cover…what is it for? Doesn’t seem to be for the coil brackets, and which motors did it come on and not come on

I’m finding that sometimes it there and sometimes it’s not, but I can’t find specifically why or why not

Thanks for the help and any advice offered
Attached Thumbnails LS Valve Cover Differences-ls-valve-cover.png  
Old 10-06-2014, 03:45 PM

Any help on this? Maybe I'm over looking something or just not searching the right terminology
Old 10-06-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Possibly for different coil covers? Vettes, TBSS, GTO, CTS-V, Escalade, etc. had pretty covers whereas the typical truck just had the center Vortec cover. Seems like I recall seeing ball studs screwed in there for those covers to snap onto. The 05 Vette valve covers I looked at yesterday on my LS2 have that hole..nothing in it because it was stripped to a long block.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Look at the underside of the cover in this link.. Related to the position of the hole for the filler it might line up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-04-CORVETTE-C5-LS1-5-7L-Coil-pack-valve-ENGINE-COVERS-black-00-01-02-03-/351170133114?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51c35efc7a&vxp=mtr#ht_1201wt_1124
Old 10-06-2014, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Yep.. See here.. "Does not come with cover mounts studs as pictured.."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS2-LS6-LS7-Valve-Covers-Black-Crinkle-Paint-NICE-/201183174741?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ed773a055&vxp=mtr#ht_21wt_1362
Old 10-08-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mercier
Possibly for different coil covers? Vettes, TBSS, GTO, CTS-V, Escalade, etc. had pretty covers whereas the typical truck just had the center Vortec cover. Seems like I recall seeing ball studs screwed in there for those covers to snap onto. The 05 Vette valve covers I looked at yesterday on my LS2 have that hole..nothing in it because it was stripped to a long block.
Thanks Mercier - I think you are on the right track there and makes sense

I was just at a point of I don't know what other terms to google to figure it out.

So with that logic the early LS1's in early 4ths gens wouldn't have had those mounting studs because they didnt have the plastic coil covers

Factory Plastic coil cover engines = have that stud
Early motors/LSA with out plastic engine covers = dont have that stud
Old 10-08-2014, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Possibly trucks, too. But I don't know if I would if I would bet on this being dependable..at a certain point GM probably figures out it is cheaper to have them all cast the same exact so you may have later models where all have the stud boss regardless of cover or not.

Quick Reply: LS Valve Cover Differences