New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new guy with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new guy with a few questions

Im currently in the market for a 4th gen f body trying to find one with most bolt ons completed. My plan is to do a set of ported stock heads with an off the shelf cam and a wet nitrous kit. im thinking a 2000 dollar budget for these things. Any recommendations ? Are there any aftermarket heads that would stick in that price range and out perform ported stockers? Who would be the best to send them to have them ported? I had great experiences with lloyd elliot with the old lt1. Has anyone had him do a set of ls1 heads?
Will the drivetrain survive a setup like this for long .i dont do any crazy launches or anything. The car wont be my daily driver just my weekend cruiser. Last but not least anything i should make sure to check when purchasing a car?

Last edited by zachkuby87; 10-19-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok nobody is answering.
1. Best budget h/c combo? I was thinking le2 heads with the polluter cam.
2. 150 nitrous safe with above combo?
3. How long with the drivetrain last provided I don't launch it too hard and stick to street tires.
4.with above mods will I need upgraded fuel system?
Old 10-19-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So a 2k budget for heads, cam, supporting accessories, plus nitrous? If so good luck on that lol
Old 10-19-2014, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) Lloyd will do your heads and grind you a custom cam for about $1350. That's a fricken steal for a guy who knows what he is doing. Why go with off-the-shelf cam when he will give you exactly what your combo wants? I was all ready to do this with my 5.3/862 heads but then got sidetracked with a whole LS2. Llyod, as reported, was great to talk to.

2) Most seem to say yes as long as you get enough fuel in there(tune).

3) Auto, you would need a stall and a good transmission cooler but if you really are easy on it you might get a year or two out of it. Stick, you'd want to upgrade the clutch and plan to start popping transmission mounts here and there but same longevity I think. For all of the above, 3.73-4:10 gears.

Good luck with your car hunt.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not look for a car that has the bolts on and a ported head/nitrous set up you would find desirable? More than likely they would wave beefed up the the trans, clutch, rear end to match the other work. A lot of these setups end up selling for less than a low mileage stock set up.

There are numerous recent threads here on what to look for when buying a 4th gen. Just use the search feature. Google would probably be helpful too.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You want more than you can afford and if you do somehow pull it off it wont be reliable. Back you plans off to cam only, which to do right will cost you $1k, and spend the other $1k on either a clutch or 4000 rpm stall converter depending on whether you get a A4 or M6. Another good plan if you want to build a good drag car would be n2o, 4000rpm converter, suspension, and MT ET streets.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fry_
You want more than you can afford and if you do somehow pull it off it wont be reliable. Back you plans off to cam only, which to do right will cost you $1k, and spend the other $1k on either a clutch or 4000 rpm stall converter depending on whether you get a A4 or M6. Another good plan if you want to build a good drag car would be n2o, 4000rpm converter, suspension, and MT ET streets.
very good advice here^ especially if it ends up being an a4 car it would be a turd with stock stall on heads/cam

Quick Reply: A new guy with a few questions