Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Sludge

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 05:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Sludge

I just bought a 98 z28. When it warms up the oil pressure drops to zero and I get the top end chatter. I figured it was the pickup tube. I was right but it's also the worst sludged engine I've ever seen. I pulled the valve covers and couldn't even see the head bolts. I vacuumed out all I could, put it back together and get the same problem. Is there a way to save it without rebuilding?
Old 10-27-2014, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does it make oil any oil pressure at all ? Cold or hot ? You could try a bunch of sea foam and several oil changes.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd put some Sea Foam in the oil and ruin it till the oil pressure drops just below 10psi let it cool off and repeat 1 or 2 more times, drain the oil and repeat with either cheap oil and more Sea Foam or just fill the motor with cheap DEX 3 ATF. DEX 3 has tons of detergents in it and if ruffly equivalent to 10w30 motor oil, it's probably a good idea to buy some cheap oil filters to change with the oil. While doing this I'd be prepared for the worst it sounds like this car had no maintenance and probably had the crap beat out of it.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

plus one on the seafoam followed by dex 3. That **** works amazing.

Also, pull the rockers off and pull the pushrods out, and clean them out with some brake clean and a small pipe cleaner. See if you can shine a penlight down the pushrod holes to see what the top of the lifters look like.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull the engine oil pan and clean everything, specifically the oil pickup,
and also pull valve covers again and blow down through all drain holes,
with the pan off you can spray everything down with brake cleaner and compressed air to remove what contaminants are in the crankcase.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Teching In

It actually did better today. It idled for 15 mins at 50 psi then dropped to 40. I ran it down the road and it never got below 15. I have already pulled the pan and changed the pickup tube and pan gasket. I found some stuff from the UK that is supposed to be the best stuff in the world for dissolving hard carbon deposits. It's called Flushing Oil Concentrate. I think I might just save this motor. The dumbass I bought it from only changed the oil 2 or 3 times in 150k miles. He needs to be in jail. Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: Engine Sludge