New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

o2 simulators

Old 11-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 simulators

Ive been having a rough idle and been spitting out 0171 0131 and 1133 codes on my car. ive been told by many people to try replacing my driverside precat o2 sensor. Will putting in a simulator help with that problem or would that be pointless and i should just go with a normal o2 sensor? If its a good idea where can i get a good set?
Old 11-08-2014, 12:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

O2 simulators are absolutely NOT for use in the pre-cat positions. Simulators are only for use in the post-cat positions, as they give a continually erroneous reading in order to fool the PCM into thinking that cats are present and functioning.

You never want to use a simulator in the front (pre-cat) locations, as they are not actually a sensor. You need a correct and functioning O2 sensor in each pre-cat bank.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
O2 simulators are absolutely NOT for use in the pre-cat positions. Simulators are only for use in the post-cat positions, as they give a continually erroneous reading in order to fool the PCM into thinking that cats are present and functioning.

You never want to use a simulator in the front (pre-cat) locations, as they are not actually a sensor. You need a correct and functioning O2 sensor in each pre-cat bank.
awesome info! thank you very much! i was told by a friend to run a simulator in there so i wasnt sure. i dont really know much about them. he doesnt really know much about my problem so im sure he was just as mixed up as i am
Old 11-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Here's a quick rundown of the o2 sensors in your car:

The pre-cat o2 sensors are there to tell the PCM how much fuel is being put into the cylinders vs how much air by reading how much oxygen is in the exhaust. If it sees a lot of oxygen it reads low voltage, if it sees a little, the voltage is higher. This tells the computer to add more or less fuel.

A normally functioning PCM with normally functioning o2 sensors will constantly flip between rich and lean, as the computer is constantly adjusting.

The post-cat o2s are simply there to monitor how efficiently the catalytic converter is working. If it's not there/not working, the PCM illuminates the SES light and gives you a DTC. It is okay to simulate the rears because they do not affect how the car runs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: o2 simulators