New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guidence needed on De-stroker build

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guidence needed on De-stroker build

Hello everyone, as the title says, I could use some guidance on a de-stroker build I plan to start in the near future. The engine will eventually be going in either an early Vega, or 280Z.

My basic plan or idea is this:
-LQ4 Iron Block base
-Bored to 4.060"
-De-stroked to 3.27"
-11.5 or 12:1 CR
-Naturally Aspirated

This would give me somewhere close to 400ci, but with a pretty short stroke. My thought behind this was to make a somewhat larger displacement engine, but still in the small block package, and with a higher rev capability. I'd like to shoot for 600+ horses n/a. So what I'd like to know, is if this is possible. Has it been done before? How would you recommend going about it?
Old 12-12-2014, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not even sure were to start with this because there are so many things wrong.

I guess I'll start with the obvious and point out that a 4.06" bore and 3.27" stroke doesn't even come close to 400ci unless your somehow building a 423 ci V10. you'll only have a 339 ci motor. Next is the thought that you need a short stroke to build a high rpm LS motor, a stock or even a 4" stroke motor can spin just as high as a 3.27" stroke motor because you'll run into valve train problems before you'll ever benefit from the short stroke unless your going to spend $3-5k on super high end valve train parts. Last is the idea of a 600 hp 339ci NA motor. Unless your talking 600 at the crank instead of at the wheels, but even then it would be a bit of a stretch for anything but a race motor.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:50 PM

I thought I might have messed up in my math somewhere. You are correct it would be around 339. So You do not believe that building the shorter stroke motor will yield any sort of real benefits?
I suppose I forgot to mention I had intended to have the engine dyno'd, so yes at the crank.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not unless you're going to build a motor with a solid roller cam, with Jesel shaft mount rockers, and a dominator flange single plane intake. You can safely spin a good forged stock stroke or 4" stroke LS motor to 7500 rpm if you can keep the valve train under control.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:24 PM

Okay, thank you, that's the Kind of stuff I needed to know.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just research everything before buying anything. If you spend a little time reading you'll find most answers without asking.

Quick Reply: Guidence needed on De-stroker build