New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to add some major HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to add some major HP

hey guys, i got a 2000 gmc sierra 1500 with a 5.3 and was wondering what else could i do to add some serious hp under the hood besides a super charger? i would like to add a new cam as well and would like to get information on which one i should get?
Old 01-09-2015, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read the dyno section till you see what you want. From there on it is just a matter of money.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kalebbaechle
hey guys, i got a 2000 gmc sierra 1500 with a 5.3 and was wondering what else could i do to add some serious hp under the hood besides a super charger? i would like to add a new cam as well and would like to get information on which one i should get?
Start with bolt on's to match your final power adder.. A cam will add big power with supporting mods LT, exhaust, intake, etc..
Old 01-11-2015, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Cam, heads and bolt ons.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

whats your budget
Old 01-11-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

You really need to sit down and plan your final destination. Is this a daily driver or a weekend warrior? With the weight of the truck and room under the hood maybe better to go forced induction. The standard route is to go Heads Cam but with a 5.3 and the way they take to being boosted that may be the best way to got. Don't fall in love with a big HP number. Its whats under the curve that makes for a great street car.
Read in here and search. There is always a better head, cam profile, intake coming along. So lots of good parts come up for sale. Remember it is the combination. If you are not sure of your abilities find someone that can guide you but know the right questions to ask.
Good luck.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
You really need to sit down and plan your final destination. Is this a daily driver or a weekend warrior? With the weight of the truck and room under the hood maybe better to go forced induction. The standard route is to go Heads Cam but with a 5.3 and the way they take to being boosted that may be the best way to got. Don't fall in love with a big HP number. Its whats under the curve that makes for a great street car.
Read in here and search. There is always a better head, cam profile, intake coming along. So lots of good parts come up for sale. Remember it is the combination. If you are not sure of your abilities find someone that can guide you but know the right questions to ask.
Good luck.
X2 and from having a ext cab 5.3 with a cam and full bolt ons I can tell you planning it out and having your goal in mind is the best thing. Your really do need to decide how much your willing to spend on it though.

Just like he said, strap a turbo kit on there with a few other mods I do think that's the best bang for your buck, at least in a truck...

Quick Reply: looking to add some major HP