Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with fuel pressure swapped gas tanks steel to plastic

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with fuel pressure swapped gas tanks steel to plastic

I am looking for some help here, I've got a 1998 Z28 LS1 and when I bought it it had been sitting for about a year or so with the gas tank out and needless to say the inside of the metal tank was bad rusted and nasty so I figured the newer plastic would be the way to go so I got a super clean 2000 Z28 tank and installed it after cleaning all the lines on the car an changing the fuel filter. went to start it and only getting like 5 PSI and not throwing any codes any idea what I missed? need help. I even tried another PCM and didn't pump at all of course it wasn't flashed but I figured it would at least start till I got it flashed am I wrong in thinking that as it came out of a 1998 Z28 ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did a search of the forums and got nothing to help me but then I may have not asked the correct question.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It occurs to me that if it were sitting a while you should check the fuel pressure regulator as well as the check valve in the pump(and the pump!). Especially if the regulator isn't functioning you might just be pumping fuel around without building pressure. Does it even spike above 5 when the pump first cycles? Did you put a decent amount of fuel in the new tank(like at least a few gallons)?
Old 01-27-2015, 04:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mercier, I got it going last night seems that the fuel pump assembly was bad and I had another one I swapped in and zoom it worked!! do you know if the fuel gauge from a 1999 and a 1998 are the same and if not what can I do to make it work correctly? again I didn't notice as I was to busy dancing around my running LS1 !
Old 01-27-2015, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats man. It's a feeling that is hard to explain when the $&@*! thing finally fires up!

I do not know. I am not that granularly familiar with with the F-body vehicles. There is a Camaro-specific forum here as well as the "Conversions and Hybrids" forum. The latter has guys in it that could pretty much install a jet engine in a weedeater(probably have) so I feel like you'll find your answer there.

Good luck with your project.

Quick Reply: Help with fuel pressure swapped gas tanks steel to plastic