Originally Posted by locosteelersfan
Well no disrespect but 99.9% of dealerships know nothing other
than what they are currently selling. Yes, the rumors always fly,
but when have there been so many 400hp cars out there. Remember
when we were one of the few 300hp cars. What I'm trying to say is
there is a real HP war going on and I doubt they will let the vette get
swallowed up by some new kid on the block. The new 6 series BMW has
a 500 hp model.
This is true the dealership guys no absolutely jackshit, and seem to be the least informed of anyone in society when it comes to cars....makes no sense what so ever.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the new Z06 is a Viper killer, wouldn't it take down the Ford GT too? it was like not even a half sec difference between the two in the quarter wasn't there?
Old 05-31-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

the ford gt wasn't really designed to be a 1/4 killer although
it does have impressive times. Viper on the other hand is brute force.

As far as dealers go nearly all of them sale vettes cause they are
a chevy, some sell chevys cause they make vettes. some of the dealers
around my way have 75 cavaliers and 1-2 c5's while others have dozens of
vettes and as many cavaliers. Its sort of a reputation thing. If your looking
for a certain model you go it one and not the other. So guess which dealers
know more about things like the up coming C6. Hate to say it but I was just
at one of the bigger vette dealers in PGH and the guy didn't know jack about
C6, while they had a good 10-15 C5's and a dozen or so older vettes in the
showroom as old as a 1972, while most dealers' showrooms are filled w/trailblazers
Old 05-31-2004, 09:07 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

I concur C5 Z06 out handles, C6 go-fasta

C6 will be smaller and lighter, combine that with more than
30 more TQ@midrange (according the the graph) its a no brainer.
Isn't the Z06 lighter?

And the LS6 and the LS2 make the same horsepower from 4500 on (actually the LS6 makes a little more top end) so the motors should be the same on the track. The gear split from the 3-4 shift takes you right to 4500 RPM.

Of course if the LS6 is lighter than a Z06 (doubtful) than it will probably be faster.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

The two cars weight about the same. Im not sure which one is lighter but it is a very small difference, <50 lbs. And yes a hp war is well underway, and the gas companies are well aware of it. Luckily technology has gotten so good that you can make 500 hp and still get 30 mpg on the highway. For the most part hp is another advertising method. I say let the manufactures
Old 05-31-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the C6 beats the old z06 in TOP speed, (186mph) and that's about it.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i just got back from Bowling Green and 4 days of fun at the Cruise in V the Corvette Forum puts on. Dave Hill was there the whole time with 2 C6 cars. 3 evenings Dave and his partner brought the C6's out to ogle and drool over.. there was LOTS of FIRST HAND feedback from many vette enthusiasts.. one a 6spd vert and an auto Z51 coupe. According to Dave the Z06 is still the faster car as compared to the Z51 equiped cars. except the top end of the C6 is a little higher. TQ on the LS2 is definitly higher in the mid range but a 6 liter WILL have more tq than a 5.7... The Z51 option will have bigger/better brakes as well as a current Z06 geared 6spd option. Dave would not talk about the upcoming Z06... only that in current testing the car is "well within desired performance parameters" according to Dave. there WILL be a noticible visual difference between a standard C6 and the upcoming Z06. Dave said an old lady could see the difference and know if a Z06 is coming at you or going away from you... I am anxiously awaiting more info.... however one thing did leak a bit in late night conversations and that is HP will most likely be around 480 or so as they are having durability concerns currently.... we will know in Janurary 05 as the Z06 will be in Detroit..

There were numerous people who got to drive the C6 this weekend and ALL of them said the car drives VERY well and does seem to feel better overall than a C5 or Z06... in sitting in one myself the car feels............ better constructed... more solid.. the car is definitly going to one step above the C5 but not as drastic as the C4 to C5 change. the interior is definitly higher quality. the seats have more lateral support. the display and controls are well designed.. .the headlights..... OH YEAH!!! they rival the 996 Porsche i traded on my Z06... VERY VERY effective!! i could not believe the beam these things put out!! GM did a LOT of fine tuning to the car.. from all aspects.. one last thing Dave said was the Z06 WILL be in the leauge with "Fords 140K offering".... with a roll of his eyes... i think we will all be very happy with the car... including the price point... Dave said they are able to be within the targeted price with minimal incrase over the C5... final pricing will be released in 3 weeks... hope this answers some of the specualtion over the upcoming cars..