New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on my build of My LM7 5.3! New to the LS world.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Help on my build of My LM7 5.3! New to the LS world.

So I have an 01 silverado LM7 5.3. Only thing I have done is a 3 inch Banks Catback exhaust, and an k&N CAI intake. I was planning on building the motor for more top end, cause these 5.3 motors have good torque already, but I also want to increase this. I also have 3.73 gears in it and it's a 2wd. So it's not slow poke, but also its not that fast either. I was thinking a cam swap, possible a cam out of a bigger LS motor like LS6 or the z06 cam. Get new spring and lifters and pushrods and rocker arms too. I also want to get a better intake, like the FAST LSX 92mm or 102mm. I already have the stock 92mm throttle body, but the stupid truck has an egr tube from the intake to rhe exhaust manifold. so i need help picking that out and I want to go to a nice exhaust with long tubes and off road y pipe. only issue is the truck has 200,000+ miles 9n it but my dad owned it Brand new with 3 miles and always used Full synthic every 3,000 no matter What. Never had any major engine fails or even little. If it was newer I'd just boost it till it dies then build it, but I feel like if I do it know it won't last enough for me to save up. So anyone can help me with it and major even couch my build? I'm in Arizona by the way.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a better cam. If you gonna do a cam swap do something better than a ls6 cam. Delete the egr garbage also.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

With the LS6 you'll be wanting more. Theres a ton of options out there.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure your stock TB is 92mm?

Look here and save yourself some dough on the intake.. This is basically the Trailblazer SS (late model truck) intake. Stock in a 400/400 factory engine. Flows well from idle to 6500.

Amazon.com: ACDelco 12620308 GM Original Equipment Intake Manifold Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 12620308 GM Original Equipment Intake Manifold Assembly: Automotive

It's cheap and far outflows the intake you have on there now. You'll have to get the top PCV fitting from GM(~$20) and the rear fitting for brake booster will plug right in from your 2001 intake. Also you can modify your current fuel rails and with some cheap spacers (cut from tube from Home Depot) set your rails up to work with late model truck flex fuel injectors that flow 36-39lb which you can get brand new off eBay for $70/ whole set of 8.

That's the setup I am running in my LS2 and it performs very well so far and on a budget. Peak speed shop also ports them for $250-$400 if you want more.

You can spend the money you save on intake/injectors on a nice custom cam.

Oh yeah..$100 crap eBay (4-bolt, 90mm, cable-type) throttle body took a tiny bit of sanding in the IAC hole but my old IAC, TPS transferred right over as well as my MAP to the intake.

I looked at doing a whole FAST setup and with intake, throttle body, injectors, rails, regulator, etc., I was looking at almost $2K. Now I've got a nice setup that might give up a few HP here and there but performs very well for a total of about $500.

Sorry for the rant; just excited because until I got the tune good enough to start actually driving around the last few days I didn't know if it would work! Spinning 33" mudders at 40MPH so we're getting somewhere.

Good luck with your build!

Quick Reply: Help on my build of My LM7 5.3! New to the LS world.