Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reset Computer

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset Computer

How do I reset my computer in my car? It's a 1999 Z28. I was in a car accident and besides the bodywork, the electric window switch mount had to be replaced. When I first got the car back, all the gauges went haywire when I first started it up. As I drove it, it got better. I've lost a noticeable amount of power, though. I was told that the computer may have to be reset because of the electrical work the shop did. Other than the loss of power, the car runs fine.

I know there are 2 Fuses you pull for a certain amount of time. Which ones are they and where are they located? Am I going about this the right way? A friend told me that all I would have to do is to completely disconnect the battery for 20 minutes and then reconnect it. Is that the way to go?

I just need to know the procedure.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Don't know about the radio and trip odo after battery disconnection, don't think the PCM cares about them. Try it this way:

Turn key on, don't start car
Pull PCM BATT and PCM IGN fuses in engine compartment
Wait 5-10 min
Turn ignition off
Replace fuses

Resets the readiness tests too and idle will be grumpy until it relearns.

There you go. I copied this from another post on here. Although, when I did it I had to wait 15 min or so cause it wouldn't do it after 10.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Thank you. I appreciate your help.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

instead of dicking with it like that, just drive down to auto zone and borrow their scanner (unless you have your own... good investment to make). Hook it up, read codes, and clear codes. Even if there aren't any codes, using "clear codes" should reset everything, including fuel trims, diagnostics loops, ect.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by roninsonic
instead of dicking with it like that, just drive down to auto zone and borrow their scanner (unless you have your own... good investment to make). Hook it up, read codes, and clear codes. Even if there aren't any codes, using "clear codes" should reset everything, including fuel trims, diagnostics loops, ect.
Thanks for the input. I'm new to all of this. The last performance car I owned was a 1977 Trans Am Bandit back in 1985. Not only is working on cars new to me, the whole computer thing is new, too. Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They may not be able to clear it, Its not in fact of the machine cant but by law they are not allowed to so it depends if the parts jocky knows or not if they will do it.

But to the OP, simply disconnecting the battery for 15-20min resets the PCM as well.

Did the gauges sweep through there range of movement or are they jumping all over? A battery on its way out, a poor ground, loose cables, loose starter or power connection at the main fuse panel on the drivers side fender will also cause the gauges to full sweep over and over again on start up.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N20zuki
They may not be able to clear it, Its not in fact of the machine cant but by law they are not allowed to so it depends if the parts jocky knows or not if they will do it.

But to the OP, simply disconnecting the battery for 15-20min resets the PCM as well.

Did the gauges sweep through there range of movement or are they jumping all over? A battery on its way out, a poor ground, loose cables, loose starter or power connection at the main fuse panel on the drivers side fender will also cause the gauges to full sweep over and over again on start up.
They won't let you use the scanner where you are? Screw letting a parts jockey do it.

And aye, disconnecting the battery will do it, but you'll also lose your radio presets, and that's never fun.

OP, you're very welcome. HOWEVER.

WE WANT PICKS OF THAT TA!
Old 02-23-2015, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They won't let you use the scanner where you are? Screw letting a parts jockey do it.
Yea, states that require emissions or vehicle inspections it is illegal for them to let you reset your codes or for them to do it. I have my own reader so I don't have the issue. I use to moonlight part time at Advance Auto a few years back for extra cash and they were very strict on us not resetting peoples DTC codes. Even would have people come in and try to get us to reset them and get that employee in trouble.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Here in California ,emissions hell ,they won't even let you use a scanner at any of the parts places(autozone oreilly etc) .You have to buy your own!So I have found owning a scanner invaluable. Being able to see live data helps a ton knowing what's going on with the vehicle. The simple code reader was pretty cheap too ,just read and erase codes. But mine cost about 260.00 and it was worth it to be able to see fuel trims and what all the sensors are doing, etc.

Last edited by celtsean; 02-23-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N20zuki
Yea, states that require emissions or vehicle inspections it is illegal for them to let you reset your codes or for them to do it. I have my own reader so I don't have the issue. I use to moonlight part time at Advance Auto a few years back for extra cash and they were very strict on us not resetting peoples DTC codes. Even would have people come in and try to get us to reset them and get that employee in trouble.
Originally Posted by celtsean
Here in California ,emissions hell ,they won't even let you use a scanner at any of the parts places(autozone oreilly etc) .You have to buy your own!So I have found owning a scanner invaluable. Being able to see live data helps a ton knowing what's going on with the vehicle. The simple code reader was pretty cheap too ,just read and erase codes. But mine cost about 260.00 and it was worth it to be able to see fuel trims and what all the sensors are doing, etc.

I've never had to deal with that... I have my own scanner, but I've been in someone else's car and had to stop, always just walked up to the counter and asked to borrow the scanner and offered to leave my ID while I used it.

That ****'s crazy that parts stores in some places aren't allowed to clear codes for you.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

I've never had to deal with that... I have my own scanner, but I've been in someone else's car and had to stop, always just walked up to the counter and asked to borrow the scanner and offered to leave my ID while I used it.

That ****'s crazy that parts stores in some places aren't allowed to clear codes for you.
I found out the reason you can't get your codes read in California. At oreilly they are changing from innova to Bosch scanners. So they showed me that bosch accidentally sent them a store model. I was like how come you guys don't have a store model for customers,like the other states? They said because someone used one and followed the dtc possible solutions . And it didn't fix his car . So he sued and won. Because he said the scanner told me to replace such and such parts and it didn't work. So now a legal precedent is set and none of the auto parts places in California will read codes or let you use one. California is smog **** hell!!! Lol Smog repair places love it!

Quick Reply: Reset Computer