New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of Changes when Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015 | 10:47 PM
Teching In

Default List of Changes when Tuning?

When tuning a 5.3L LS engine in a Chevy truck for best possible performance... what are some of the general settings that should be changed?

I heard torque management, traction control, and Speed limiter should be disabled.

Any other settings that should be changed?

Last edited by Rockrz; 09-23-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2015 | 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Generally bump up the timing a few degrees, torque management can be reduced, I wouldn't completely remove it unless you have a built transmission. I would reduce it to maybe 50% for a little better shifts without shortening the life of the transmission. Usually the air fuel mixture is leaned out a little. The shift points can also be raises a little bit, depending on your redline and engine power curve. Those are the basic things for tuning you can do. The speed limiter, tire diameter, and gear ratio can all be changed if there was a change in your overall setup like bigger tires, deeper rear end gears, etc. AND make sure there is a backup of the stock tune, in case something gets messed up and the engine runs like crap and you can't figure out what happened!!!
Old 09-24-2015 | 11:08 PM
Teching In

OK, thanks.

I found a shop where the guy is a GM trained tech who used to work in GM dealerships who is certified to tune vets (whatever that means)... who has his own shop now doing all kinds of repair work in addition to tuning.

So, hopefully he should be able to walk me thru all the options. He tunes using one of those dynos that bolts right on to yo rear axle which is supposed to be very accurate.

So... how critical is wide band O2 Sensors???

I'm not racing or anything. I just want the engine to be efficient and run as good as possible.

Quick Reply: List of Changes when Tuning?