Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the ls1 world.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the ls1 world.

Hello im mike im new to the ls1 world. I have a 1980 nissan 280zx that i plan to swap a ls1 into. Iv done a bit of research on it. But what are some of the bad points of the ls1? Im looking to get around 400 horses and i want a monster cam in it to beat the ground. Now im not sure if 400 will be biult enough for the sound im looking for.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

400hp would be as simple as a stock LS1 engine with LT headers, tuning, and some other common bolt-ons (intake, TB, pulley, and/or some combo of these, etc.)

A "monster" cam may deliver unsatisfying results without proper supporting components. I'm not a fan of those huge cams for street cars myself, I prefer a mid-range or smallish cam with a top shelf set of heads, supporting bolt-ons and a displacement increase (if you intend to rebuild.) That makes for a killer street combo with excellent manners and plenty of power without having to rev to the moon. For a race application I would approach the build differently though.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Like RPM WS6 said, you won't need much to get an ls1 400 at the crank, bolt-ons will do that. You don't need a huge aftermarket cam to sound mean and aggressive either. I would do like he said, do bolt-ons, get a nice mid sized cam, and some heads with at least a ls6 intake. That will put you over 400+rwhp easily, probably around 420whp and run really well.

You'll be a lot happier with a mid sized cam than you will with a huge cam especially if you have a stick vs an auto transmission.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Teching In

I do plan to rebuild it when i get it. And wile im in there upgreading some stuff. Like a forged crank, h beam rods, and i was thinking some dome top. Id like 12:1 compression. With some ported ls6 heads and intake. A set of short headers. Roller lifters and roller rockers. Pretty much a street drag car is what im looking at.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bigmike4098
I do plan to rebuild it when i get it. And wile im in there upgreading some stuff. Like a forged crank, h beam rods, and i was thinking some dome top. Id like 12:1 compression. With some ported ls6 heads and intake. A set of short headers. Roller lifters and roller rockers. Pretty much a street drag car is what im looking at.
Your stock crank can handle a lot of power. There's tons of people in the 600-800rwhp range on the stock crank and some that's over 1000rwhp running 8-9sec quarter miles (possibly faster). I wouldn't hesitate for a second to run a stock one at 800rwhp, but if you have the money and are putting new rods/pistons in already then it won't hurt anything.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Teching In

What can the stock rods handle. And how much power can the main caps hold. With it being aluminium. Id like save as much as i can. But i plan to put the best bearings money can buy. And free up as much tension as i can i plan to balance and blueprints it. I want to try to build a reliable engine.

Quick Reply: New to the ls1 world.