New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Casting Identification Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Casting Identification Help

Good afternoon! I recently got an engine from a friend who claims that it is a 2002 L33 Aluminum block 5.3L. I looked at the engine casting number on the back right of the engine and stamped is 12567392. I looked that up and to me that appears to be a LM7 Cast Iron Block 4.8/5.3L.

I am just trying to figure out what kind of engine I have here, if its cast iron or aluminum and if its a good block to put some money into and start a build. This would be my first major engine build and I just want to make sure I start with good bones. From everything I have read, the LM7 5.3L is a good engine to build and seems like it can handle many different setups. I have read that it can support anywhere from 450 to 1000HP, though internals will need changed out when getting into the higher numbers past 600+hp.

My current plan is to tear the engine down and remove everything from the block and send the block away to be cleaned and tested. I would like input as to the next best course. I have a general idea of where I want to go, just looking for different ideas of how to get there. I would like to see 600hp, or close to it, for as cheap as possible. I am open to machining work on the block or on the heads (current heads are 706's).

Feel free to throw any idea out there. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Gaiden_08; 12-28-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Casting Identification Help