Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver side door issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side door issue

I have a 2000 camaro ss, and for some reason the door panel rubs against the fender everytime i open it. its removing the paint every time and looking worse and worse. is there an easy fix to this? or just adjust the door hinge?
Old 02-21-2016, 07:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

My guess is that the car was jacked improperly at some point, bending the fender mounting tab at the very bottom of the fender just behind the front tire. These tabs tend to get flattened by poor jack/lift placement by unknowing technicians and private owners.

Usually this causes the fender to stick out some, leaving a visable gap that some people think is normal (if they don't know any better). Sometimes it can also cause the contact issues you're seeing with the door. Often you can bend metal mounting point of the tab back into place, but sometimes the plastic fender portion breaks off and then you have to get a bit creative above remounting the fender. Some people use various types of epoxy/plastic weld to glue the tab back on, some just mount the fender from the bottom with screws going straight up into the body without using that tab. Hard to know what would be best in your case without seeing it in person or at least some pictures of the mounting area at the bottom.

It's also possible that you could have some door hinge issues, but if the door opens and closes smoothly without much force, then the issue is more likely with the fender than the door.

Quick Reply: Driver side door issue