New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud "creaking" noise over bumps...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud "creaking" noise over bumps...

I recently put these parts on my car all in the same day:

SLP weld in SFCs, 21mm rear and 35 mm hollow front bar, and a cutout.

The front bar was put on using the stock bolts, endlinks etc. (not the ones it came with, guy said the bolts the new bar came with weren't long enough).

I notice now I have this loud creaking noise whenever I go over bumps.

I also have had a really loud banging sound about 4 times now. At first I thought I was just going over one of those metal plates in the road and it made that noise but since that it has happened a few other times. It sounded like it came from the back of my car. I guess it could be a backfire but I've never had those before so I doubt it's that. It sounds literally sounded like someone slammed a heavy metal plate on the road.

Anyway, what the hell is this creaking noise??? I need to get rid of it asap.
Do I need to put some wd40 on the bars or what???? Do I have some other problem? help me out!
Old 06-16-2004, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

use some grease on the bushings

...well change that, ALOT.

and uhh..i guess check to make sure everything is tucked up nice?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car is the same, especially in then mornings. Check the bushings and make sure nothings rubbing anywhere.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

make sure the cutouts not hitting the ground? one of my exhaust clamps is faced down and scrapes sometimes.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think the cutout is hitting anything. It only hangs about half an inch (if that) below anything else under my car.

Each time I heard that loud bang it happened while my back tires were going over a bump or rough spot in the road. Most of the roads in LA are pretty shitty anyway so that might not mean much. I didn't go over anything high enough to hit the bottom of my car and make that kind of noise though.

The first time it happened was when I drove over a metal plate in the road so I thought maybe it was that but then it happened 3 other times so far (over a couple of months) and I don't recall going over a metal plate each time. It's not something I've been able to reproduce just by going over some rough road or bumps so it's hard to tell what's going on.

Now this other creaking noise is easily reproduced. Every time I go over a bump I hear that from under my car. I'll try greasing the bushings and hope that works. I'm not sure when I'll have time to do that though... I hate it when I do **** to my car and I have problems after
Old 06-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Just like Jamie said...make sure you put sufficient grease on the bushings, else ull get a lot of creaking noises when turning and going over bumps.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01whitez28
I don't think the cutout is hitting anything. It only hangs about half an inch (if that) below anything else under my car.

Each time I heard that loud bang it happened while my back tires were going over a bump or rough spot in the road. Most of the roads in LA are pretty shitty anyway so that might not mean much. I didn't go over anything high enough to hit the bottom of my car and make that kind of noise though.

The first time it happened was when I drove over a metal plate in the road so I thought maybe it was that but then it happened 3 other times so far (over a couple of months) and I don't recall going over a metal plate each time. It's not something I've been able to reproduce just by going over some rough road or bumps so it's hard to tell what's going on.

Now this other creaking noise is easily reproduced. Every time I go over a bump I hear that from under my car. I'll try greasing the bushings and hope that works. I'm not sure when I'll have time to do that though... I hate it when I do **** to my car and I have problems after
Im not sure about the slp weld on subframe connectors, but my competition engineering ones and BMR's subframe connectors weld on in the front and back and then theres another bracket that goes over the LCA bracket. Mine used to make those noises too, try tightening the CRAP out of the LCA bolts and like they said, grease the bushings up nice. After I tightened the LCA bolts, the noises stopped. Also, My sway bars came with some nice grease, end links, and new bushings. Maybe get some new end links while your at it, theyre cheap. Just take one off and make sure you get the correct length end links.

Quick Reply: loud "creaking" noise over bumps...