Sponsored by:

LS and LS based engine head questions, also forum question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS and LS based engine head questions, also forum question

Hi guys,

I have a 5.3L (ls based?) engine in my truck and was thinking the other day would a 4v per cylinder head be possible? 32 total valves?

I know that GM had the northstar v8's in the Cadillac with 32 valves, were those OHC engines? or pushrod v8's? perhaps they were based on the gm 350 sbc and wouldn't fit anyways but just curious.

also, in regards to the forum sub-forums, what are internal and external engines?

for instance there are subforums for Gen III internal and Gen III external engines...didn't know what this meant.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

32V - Theoretically, time and money, anything is possible. With the power one can make from the LS engine with only two valves, the question, to me, is "is it worth it?"
The answer, to me, is "no." IMO there isn't enough room for twice as many lobes on the cam, so you end up with a forked rocker of sorts with one lobe/lifter actuating two valves. Messy. There were some really cool heads that tried this for SBF/SBC 10-15 years ago but obviously it just wasn't worth it as they aren't blowing the doors off at strips across the country now.

Yes, 32V Northstars were/are OHC. But it doesn't take a genius to see what GM's opinion is when you look at the fact that as late as 2009 there was the STS-V with a supercharged Northstar while today the CTS-V continues with a pushrod engine and the STS is non-existent.

The engine that was 32V/DOHC that was closest to the SBC would be the LT5 in the 90's ZR1. Awesome for the time, but still not practical:

http://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_ZR1LT5.html

Finally, internal vs. external: same engine(s) but referring to conversations re: things internal to said engine vs. external to said engine. Internal basically stops at the long block (though read the stickies for further explanation) and external is everything north and south of that.

Last edited by Mercier; 06-27-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Ok i gotta question! Hopefully somebody can help. If I put 799 heads on my 04 5.3 the compression will drop ,right ? I'm running all ls6 top end if that helps. The block has been decked and I'm gonna run forged pistons and rods. And was thinking about running a ms3 cam. What can I do to bring this compression back up? I want to do this right the first time. And once I get the money for the turbo I'll be switching cams. Idk what head gaskets to run or nothing I'm a bodyman/ painter building my first hot rod and i hate to build something that won't run. Plz help me out lol !
Old 07-09-2016, 02:34 AM
Teching In

How far should I mill the heads ? How much compression do i want knowing it's gonna get a turbo. I've searched this site and Google for 2 weeks now and I can't figure out what to do ! I'm wanting like 400 to 500 hp n/a if possible with this setup before turbo. Any help would be awesome!
Old 07-09-2016, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to say that I'm not an engine builder, you can modify the compression ratio by the thickness of the head gasket, this also affects the quench which is important in making power.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Quench is another thing I don't understand to well. Is their some kind of app that can figure this stuff out. I've ask this question on 3 different threads and nobody has gave me any kind of anwser. And i have another question to my motor is a 04 avalanche motor. In 05 the l33 5.3 started coming out with 243s on them and flat top pistons. Can I run those flat tops and connecting rods in my lm7 or is the crank made different. I hope I'm just over thinking this to much ! I just want my truck to run like felon escaping prison.. lmfao
Old 07-10-2016, 09:03 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

If you plan on going turbo, you should pay absolutely zero attention to things like quench.
You also want a lot less compression than an N/A engine.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:05 PM
Teching In

So Joenova would u even put the 243/799 heads on the 5.3 or just get my 706 heads worked.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:42 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Neither. Turbo it and be done.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quench is the gap between the top of piston and head. In a NA car it make a difference in the power made.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Ok thx guys.

Quick Reply: LS and LS based engine head questions, also forum question