Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ly2 swap starter questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ly2 swap starter questions

Ok guys so i have a 2007 silverado z71 extended cab with the ly2. I picked up an 2009 ly6 for a pretty good price, complete pull oit beside the harness and ecu. I have a couple questions.
1. Since my engines are same gen, will my ecu and harness swap over?

2.I know the vvt plug isnt there on my harness, but as my daily driver i would really like to have it. What do i need to do to get it if my ecu or jarmess do swap over or do i just say damn it all and get a harness an ecu?

3. What is a really good header company?

4. I know the engine is good, but its used. What should i do to this engine to make it last the longest i can. (Not really a professional) but would i beable to pull the whole thing apart and clean it? Is that necessary? What should i replace if anything?

Any info or direction would be great thanks
Old 08-04-2016, 09:46 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

1. Yes, they'll swap over. You'll need to delete the VVT on the LY6 and retune your ECU to run it. Everything else should swap over fairly straight forward.

2. See #1.

3. As long as its a stainless header made for your truck, I wouldn't be too picky. No reason to buy an $800 set of headers unless you plan on big power.

4. I always just seafoam my gas tank and maybe suck some windshield washer fluid into the intake to help clean up the valve/rings. If you feel like replacing anything, swap the lifters. Its always a lot harder to do it with the engine in the vehicle.

5. Where are you located? I've been looking for an LY2. I might take it off your hands if the price is right.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the response im actually in Texas but frequently drive to NM. Its got a lot of miles on it, but i baby the thing.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Teching In

The engine is actually out right now, havent put it in yet.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:08 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Texas might be a bit far from me. I don't care about miles, I've yet to blow up a high mileage engine regardless of how much boost/spray I put to it.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Well, when i pull it out ill let you know. Im in a limoted market down here so ill let you know what i want out of it.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Texas might be a bit far from me. I don't care about miles, I've yet to blow up a high mileage engine regardless of how much boost/spray I put to it.
got that engine if you still want it

Quick Reply: Ly2 swap starter questions