Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 vs LS3 Oil pan on LQ4 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LQ4 vs LS3 Oil pan on LQ4 Engine

I am putting an LS3 oil pan onto an LQ4 engine. This is for the Turbo LQ4 into a Pontiac Fiero swap. I am using lots of LS1-LS6 parts on the swap. The new pan has a nut and bracket over top of the oil filter. My plan is to trim the windage tray unless someone suggests to remove the nut and bracket. In either case I would like to know what that is for just simply to learn something new.

I also need to modify the tray for the new pickup tube, but that only requires a dent or 2. So that should be fine.

One of the issues that I have to overcome with the LQ4 into a Fiero is that the starter needs to go right where the oil cooler lines would go. I need to remove that cap over the cooler lines, shave it down, then weld it shut. DON'T FREAK OUT YET. No I am not going to block the oil flow, I have to take a drill and drill an oil bypass inside the pan to link the both holes internally. If anyone has a better suggestion I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance if you have read thsi far, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
David aka Capt Fiero

Last edited by Capt Fiero; 08-10-2016 at 12:19 PM. Reason: adding images
Old 08-11-2016, 04:16 AM
Teching In

So I decided to just modify the windage tray on the LQ4 to accept this pan. Its used on the 2015 6.2l Camaro, so I am guessing anything they changed was for the better.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:23 AM
Teching In

Got the pan done and installed. Most of the parts are just on there semi loose, as this was just a mock up to make sure it all fit without conflict. (Turbo feed in the front, Intake on reverse and valve covers reversed. So far I am thinking its looking good. Getting closer every day.

Quick Reply: LQ4 vs LS3 Oil pan on LQ4 Engine