New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudmouths are Scary

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004 | 09:59 PM
Teching In

Default My LM intimidated a vette

One nite I pass this new vett With this guy eyeing down. I see him make a u turn in my rear veiw mirror to come an d get me, Im thinkin o.k. I'll probably get smoked.He and his woman pull besid me at the next light . I give him a couple revs and he says damn what are you runnin? I say cam , heads & 4:11s.The light changes I gun it and he just stayed there lookin dumb I lovr the LM.
Old 06-23-2004 | 10:06 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Ru2n00n3er]Is Loudmouth exhaust the ones I've heard sound good with a stock engine setup? But if you start getting a cam, headers etc. it can get nasty?

I have the stock SLP dual-dual setup right now, would the Loudmouth do anything powerwise for me, or just be louder. And how much of an effect would the loudmouth have with sound?[/QUOTE

I have the same exhaust and with long tubes it sounds good when you get into it. At idel its very tame. I like to walk quietly and carry a BIG F'ING STICK! For noise I can open the cut out and shake the windows.
Old 06-23-2004 | 10:08 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by God of Thunder
Well, to start this off, I have a 1999 Trans Am with a SLP Loudmouth exhaust. Night before last I was at a music store, sitting in the parking lot in my car talking on the phone. A van pulls up next to me as I'm about to get off the phone. As soon as I hang up I turn the key and start my car. A lady from the van is walking past my car and screams bloody murder as my car roars to life. I look in my mirror to see whats going on and she is still like jumping up and down, yelling about how my car scared her. Isn't the Loudmouth wonderful?

you should hear true duals with dynomax bullets....with headers....and a big cam...and ported and polished heads and intake......and........

the other night I went to the grocery store..... set off 2 car alarms just trolling into the parking lot at near Idle.....
came out.... started up the beast...set off another 4 car alarms...and scared the hole begesus out of some dude and his 3 yr old....

Old 06-23-2004 | 10:32 PM
10 Second Club

I agree, nothing compare to the sound of a 430+ RWHP engine threw a x-pipe to 3" dual bullets.It's a hole diff sound.It makes your stomach tingle and the hairs on your arms and neck raise when you tach this thing up
Old 06-24-2004 | 10:10 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
loudmouth is the only exhast i can kinda hear when a fbody pulls up next to me....over my cutout that is

That's cuz your cutout made you deaf!
Old 06-24-2004 | 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by soundengineer
you should hear true duals with dynomax bullets....with headers....and a big cam...and ported and polished heads and intake......and........

the other night I went to the grocery store..... set off 2 car alarms just trolling into the parking lot at near Idle.....
came out.... started up the beast...set off another 4 car alarms...and scared the hole begesus out of some dude and his 3 yr old....

Hell yeah I love setting of car alarms at a mere Idle!

Brad
Old 06-24-2004 | 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well, there arent a lot of f bodies that have exhausts where im from, so its hard for me to compare my ls1 w/ an exhaust to another, but i have heard a 454 through an x-pipe with flowmasters, that thing sounds sick! people seem to like how much lower my loudmouth is though. after i got it all my friends kept telling me how much better they thought it sounded.
I myself love the fact that it DOES scare the crap outta people and it's as close to Nascar as you can legally get!
thats what i love about the loudmouth
Old 06-24-2004 | 12:50 PM
Launching!

I've got the Loudmouth, Long tube headers, and no cats. It does make a few different kinds of sounds. Depending on what your rpm's are and if your sitting there or actually moving. It almost sounds like a trumpet blast at times if you blip the throttle real quick. Only thing I don't like is the popping sound it makes sometimes when you are getting off of it. Its quiet when you need it to be if you accelerate gently too. Personally I think it's louder than my friends cutout with no cats and FLP Longtubes.
Old 06-24-2004 | 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elderon
I've got the Loudmouth, Long tube headers, and no cats. It does make a few different kinds of sounds. Depending on what your rpm's are and if your sitting there or actually moving. It almost sounds like a trumpet blast at times if you blip the throttle real quick. Only thing I don't like is the popping sound it makes sometimes when you are getting off of it. Its quiet when you need it to be if you accelerate gently too. Personally I think it's louder than my friends cutout with no cats and FLP Longtubes.
Thats what im afraid of, i hate that popping noise. and i know the pops will sound even louder with lt's and no cats. But to me its not a choice, the cats will be gone no matter what, i already had a reallly really bad exp with cats.
Old 06-24-2004 | 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

popping isnt that bad, it just sounds like a racecar to me. i like the way racecars sound, like wicked big block monsters
Old 06-24-2004 | 01:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by God of Thunder
popping isnt that bad, it just sounds like a racecar to me. i like the way racecars sound, like wicked big block monsters

Agreed. It's not THAT bad. I don't think it popped at all with stock manifolds and cats.
Old 06-24-2004 | 02:20 PM
Launching!

I have the LM with no cats and headers... I have never heard this "popping" noise before. The only popping I've ever heard came from melted spark plug wires.
Old 06-24-2004 | 02:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT1 Guy
I have the LM with no cats and headers... I have never heard this "popping" noise before. The only popping I've ever heard came from melted spark plug wires.

It only happens like when the rpm's drop off real suddenly from high rpms like taking your foot off the pedal just before the shift point- at least in my case. Happens less when the car is warmed up.
Old 06-24-2004 | 02:41 PM
Launching!

well with my hotcam, slp lt's, no cats, borla cat back with 1/4 plate... wowzers. starting that thing up cold is SOOO BAD ***!! my idle is ste to 700 rpm so i got a little bit extra lope. a z28 tried to catch up to me the other day and i blasted him. he came up and asked me what i had. i said borla w/lt's. he said, "oh thats why. it sounds ******* bad ***!" last weekend i was out of town with my bitch (the ss) and some yee haw started reving his lifterd chevy truck at me... he didnt know what he was in for. i reved back and he returend no more revs. I WIN!! suckers!
Old 06-24-2004 | 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

elderon hit the nail on the head about the popping. My LM pops only when the engine's still cold and has yet to be fully warmed up. Once the temp gets past 160, the popping disappears. I usually let the car warm up for about 1 or so minutes before driving it anyways. God I love the LoudMouth. I was about to get the Hooker, but then thought maybe MagnaFlow, but I'm seriously glad I went with LM. I love the tips, and the damn thing just sounds downright wicked!
Old 06-24-2004 | 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Duals ....trading my wide open Borla, which is just as loud as my friends LM, just not as raspy, for duals w/in 2 weeks.
If you haven't already, Do yourself a favor and go to www.ls1sounds.com... click Loudmouth on the left column and go to the third down (98Z28): click on "LM" to the right and listen, nice huh, !!BUT!! then at the right click "now with true duals" and listen to that.
P.S. I too was perfectly happy with my Borla until I heard 3" duals in real life, way louder and sounds much, much cleaner.

Seriously though,
Kyle
Old 06-25-2004 | 01:22 AM
On The Tree

No matter how much money you drop on a catback, you still won't get that deep rumble that you do with true duals. No sound clips give em justice, you just don't hear that deepness. I used to have the LM and since I went duals I get tons more compliments.
Old 06-25-2004 | 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 16nrollininaws6
I totally disagree with that. Sounds OK? It sounds crazy IMO. Stock for stock, LM is louder, but GMMG is nicer/more refined sounding. Then when you slap on headers GMMG takes the cake for sure.
I agree. The GMMG is REALLY close to being as loud as a LM. I mean, the LM is louder but we're talking about the difference between SUPER LOUD and Dag-gone that's loud.
Old 06-25-2004 | 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

loudness isnt what makes it so great to me though, i like the fact that it is just crazy. ive always heard that true duals raise the pitch quite a bit. is that true? either way im sticking to my LM for quite a while
Old 06-25-2004 | 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 16nrollininaws6
I totally disagree with that. Sounds OK? It sounds crazy IMO. Stock for stock, LM is louder, but GMMG is nicer/more refined sounding. Then when you slap on headers GMMG takes the cake for sure.

Is that a LT + cats setup you are talking about? Or LT + ORY that you are tlaking about?

I have LT headers and OR Y-pipe. I have the Corsa cat-back on right now, and it rasps and pops like a sonofabitch from 2000-3000 RPMs from 1/2 to full throttle... and I HATE that. Would the GMMG clean that up?

I love the way the Corsa sounds on it above 3000 RPM at WOT though...